5.5K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Multiple accounts(different websites) in MCC bidding for same keywords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
We have several accounts in our MCC (all different websites) which all bid for the same keywords. Often we'll have 3 or 4 of the sites appearing in search results. Is this bad? Are we bidding against ourselves - or should we turn off two sites and only bid with those?

Thanks
2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: One Business - One Account

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Homeruk;

I'd like to reiterate on point in Pankaj answer: One business - One account, is a keystone of AdWords policy. We have heard, lately, - on this community - many incidents of violation of this policy principle that ended up with account suspension (Run a search).

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Re: Multiple accounts(different websites) in MCC bidding for same keywords

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello Homeruk,

There are lot of aspects which have to be considered in your case...

Let me start with the websites. Do you own all the websites for which you are bidding? I hope you have separate Adwords account for these websites and to manage them under one umbrella, you own a MCC account. (Please correct me if I am wrong anywhere.)

Often we'll have 3 or 4 of the sites appearing in search results.

I am little bit concerend over this. Just in case if you are trying to build your business by advertising multiple websites with multiple Adwords accounts and the nature of the business being same (i.e you are promoting same products or services on all the websites), I am afraid that it's a violation. (If this is not true, then you needn't worry.)

Other than this, according to my understanding it's better to promote different websites with different set of keywords under single Adwords account, if it's a single line of business. On the contrary, if you have different businesses, then you obviously you should be bidding on different set of keywords based for different websites with no violations.

Another scenario I could think of is to promote your website with same keywords in different locations using different campaigns. Now, this is no violation because you will be promoting similar keywords across different locations (like US, UK etc....) and that too with different set of campaigns.

So as you see there are lots of permutations and combinations which could arise. Choice would be yours. I know there would be lot of critics too but this is an opinion from myside.

Hope this helps!

Pankaj

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Homeruk;

I'd like to reiterate on point in Pankaj answer: One business - One account, is a keystone of AdWords policy. We have heard, lately, - on this community - many incidents of violation of this policy principle that ended up with account suspension (Run a search).

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hey, I didn't know that. So that means if I create separate accounts for my websites, will I be penalized if it's the same product.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
@ californiafence, indeed it would be a violation. Please refer to the link in my post for more details.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@ californiafence;

Pankaj used an udnerstatement. ...I will say it straight : you will be suspended forever ! (Read the discussion linked.)

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
thanks guys, you just saved me...

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

One business - One account is to generalized.

It is perfectly fine for a corporation to have multiple accounts.  Our adwords advisor has said this on several occasions.  As long as you do not violate the double serving policy, its all fine.

In additon if you have multiple businesses in which you have controlling interest, and try to double server this way, you will also be violating the double serving policy.

I'm not sure what the policy is for individuals, but I assume it would be the same for a corporation.

But the driving factor behind the number of accounts, is not the number of accounts itself but the double serving policy.

The policy should read:

For each Business (or multiple business's in which you have controling interest) - One account per unique product brand.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hello ordsoth; welcome;

Double serving is not an easy section to understand , and has some variations. The guideline is the same : one business - one account , whether it is individual or a company

Quote:

• For each Business (or multiple business's in which you have controling interest) - One account per unique product brand.

This is a specific case (not a general guideline) , that is correct under certain conditions, (that must also be fulfilled). It does not necessarily "hold" for all businesses .

Read the full policy:

http://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2600168

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes, Google really needs to clean up the Double Serving Policy article.  We sent the policy to our lawyer, to look at, when we were reorganizing our corporate structure, and she tore it to pieces, due to its generalities and vaguities.  We try to interpret the policy based on the quest for the best user experience.

However we would prefer that Google rewrite the policy from a legal sense first, then provide a guide for the layman to understand, and then give some examples of the good and the bad.