AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.9K members online now
3.9K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Multiple Tracking Codes

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've taken over an adwords account that has about 20 campaigns, each with an ad that links to a different website. They're all brands owned by the company I work for. Conversion tracking is not enabled and somebody led me to believe that it's impossible to set it up with different campaigns in one account showing ads for different websites. Is this true?  Is it better for me to set up a separate client in the MCC for each website?

To add to this, some of the websites are for the same brand, and are essentially the same site, but translated into another language and with a different domain according to that country's tld. Example: BrandA.com, BrandA.co.uk . In analytics, these different sites are set up as different profiles, all under the same UA key. Will this affect how I can link adwords and analytics?

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Multiple Tracking Codes

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Daniela,

I had an account with more websites, each with it's conversion code. I see no reason why this could not work...

Maybe you could share more info about why that person was suspicious?

Also, maybe it would have been a problem in the past when linking with Analytics, but they just updated how linking is done. Right now linking Adwords with Analytics should be way easier.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Daniela,
Best case scenario is that you set up a different AdWords account for each site. It will make reporting a lot easier. Same with GA. However, in GA, this may not be the best option unless you're willing to lose historical data.

You can point multiple AdWords accounts to a single GA account but it's a pain in the arse to be honest.

To answer your question, it IS possible to set up different campaigns in a single AdWords account pointing to different websites, as long as the conversion tracking code is placed from that AdWords account onto the conversion pages of each website/domain.

You really should separate everything out and make a business case to the higher ups for this.

You might also want to take a look at Google Tag Manager www.google.ie/tagmanager/ it will make what you're trying to do a thousand times easier.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello Daniela;
As for the your first question:

Keep all campaigns under one account. You can (and it is recommended per the policy) to keep all brands under one account, There are exceptions;  however; I get the impression that pricing and products are the same, so you rather keep them under one account  to comply with the double serving;
https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/2600168?hl=en

As for your second question; for reporting and analysis, I would  think that you should have different UAs. However, @petebardo ; @AdWiser  or @Dave_Davis should be the ones to check with. (The @ operator will ping them that their input is desired in this thread.)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
I was under the impression that each campaign was targeting different countries (.co.uk for example mentioned).

Daniela, can you go into a little more detail on how your account is set up? (and I know what a nightmare it can be inheriting an account like this)

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Since Moshe asked, it's no problem at all to track conversions from a single account on multiple websites. You don't really even need to create separate conversion types for the different sites.

It does present the possibility of clicks from one campaign reporting as conversions on one of the other websites if you do use the same conversion type (code) for all websites. Ex, a visitor clicks on an ad for abc.com. Within the 30 day window, same visitor visits def.com and performs a conversion. If the code for all websites were the same, that would record the conversion on def.com on the campaign for abc.com. On the other hand, if you create a separate conversion type for each web site, this same conversion would not be recorded and attributed to AdWords at all.

Since the AdWords conversion code works with a 3rd party cookie, it doesn't matter what domain the conversion happens on.

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the replies, everybody.  What you've said is helpful - good to know that I can keep them in the same account if I choose to, but understood about the case for better organization and usability with separate accounts. Since you asked for a little more info, here it is.

There are 6 brands in the account and each has between 2 and 6 campaigns, one for each country. Each campaign/country's ad links to that country's website.

Also, these are not ecommerce sites, not selling products. Conversions are lead generations from contact forms.

A further question - if some of the brands mentioned are in the same industry and ad groups share some keywords of same match type, am I at risk for competing with myself if all the campaigns remain in the same account?

Again, appreciate all of the input and advice.