AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.8K members online now
2.8K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Modified Broad Match Question

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

This is probably a silly question but I'm a newbie. If I enter +seo +company +portland +or as a modified broad match keyword would I still need to add +portland +seo, +portland +or +seo +services etc or no because of the initial keyword added? would I just enter the others in as exact and phrase matches?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Shell M
3w

Re: Modified Broad Match Question

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Shell M the Modified Broad Match type requires that all elements in the Keyword are present in the search term (in any order).  So +seo +company +portland +or, won't match to the search term "portland seo" because "company" and "or" are missing - you'd need a separate Keyword to catch those searches.

As an aside, I'm assuming "or" is for "Oregon", but "or" is, of course, a very common English word and probably won't be useful in your Keywords.  I might also suggest that if you've got "seo", "company" and "portland" that might be restrictive enough to use as a simple Broad Match, rather than modified - especially if you've got a reasonably restrictive Location target setting.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Shell M
3w

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Shell M the Modified Broad Match type requires that all elements in the Keyword are present in the search term (in any order).  So +seo +company +portland +or, won't match to the search term "portland seo" because "company" and "or" are missing - you'd need a separate Keyword to catch those searches.

As an aside, I'm assuming "or" is for "Oregon", but "or" is, of course, a very common English word and probably won't be useful in your Keywords.  I might also suggest that if you've got "seo", "company" and "portland" that might be restrictive enough to use as a simple Broad Match, rather than modified - especially if you've got a reasonably restrictive Location target setting.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks so much, Jon! That makes sense. I appreciate your help!