AdWords
2.9K members online now
2.9K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Mobile checkboxes: do they limit ads only to mobile devices?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

When I'm writing (or editing) an ad and I select the "mobile" box, it doesn't rule that ad out from showing up on desktop devices, right?

I know that mobile ads will be given preference on mobile devices, and standard ads will be given preference on desktop devices, but it doesn't rule them out from being viewed across all devices, does it?

-Mateo

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mateo F
September 2015

Re: Mobile checkboxes: do they limit ads only to mobile devices?

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

No, in this situation , you will receive impressions from all devices.

If you want more impressions for some Ads from mobiles just set at the ad group level a low bids for desktops and a +300 bid adjustment for mobiles.

This should ensure more impressions from mobiles than from desktops, without completely eliminating impressions from desktops.

You will find that certain keywords have a reported "desktop" bid "below the first page bid" but using the "Segment" button you can see that they receive impressions mostly from mobiles.

I would recommend reading also this experience shared by Neha (message 6) :

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Improve-results/Can-I-have-a-search-campaign-only-for-Mobile...

[edited - recommendation for bid adjustment for mobiles]

View solution in original post

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

Please read this answer (message 4 )  from the thread below.

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Manage-ads/mobile-optimized-ads/m-p/125392/highlight/true#M1...

If you want to know later from what type of device each of the Ads with "mobile preference" received clicks or impressions, you have the button "Segment" in the Ads tab and from the drop down list choose "Device". As a result, each of the Ads will show how many metrics it recorder per 3 category of devices , desktops, mobiles and tablets.

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Ok, so that makes sense. If there's a mix of devices selected in the adgroup, then preference will be given to devices as marked. But what if I want to make all my ads visible on mobile devices?

If I check the "mobile" box on all the ads, does it prevent the ads from appearing on desktops?

-Mateo

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mateo F
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

No, in this situation , you will receive impressions from all devices.

If you want more impressions for some Ads from mobiles just set at the ad group level a low bids for desktops and a +300 bid adjustment for mobiles.

This should ensure more impressions from mobiles than from desktops, without completely eliminating impressions from desktops.

You will find that certain keywords have a reported "desktop" bid "below the first page bid" but using the "Segment" button you can see that they receive impressions mostly from mobiles.

I would recommend reading also this experience shared by Neha (message 6) :

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Improve-results/Can-I-have-a-search-campaign-only-for-Mobile...

[edited - recommendation for bid adjustment for mobiles]

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Correction : you can set mobile bid adjustments of +300% also at the ad group level and this will override any mobile bid adjustment you have at the campaign level.More details here  :

https://support.google.com/adwords/editor/answer/30532?hl=en

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Excellent. Thanks Adrian!