AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.6K members online now
1.6K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Mobile Targeting Issue

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Created a new search campaign, with the help and assistance of the Google team, to get this setup for a mobile campaign.  As per usual advice I set a very low initial bid, and then up'ed my bid for mobile's by 300% (again on their advice and suggestion).  Also, created 1 standard "desktop" ad "incase it won an auction"  Initially none of my ad's were getting impressions. So on their advice I upped my keyword bids, bit by bit, until they started showing.

Now out of the 8 ad's in the ad group, the 1 desktop ad is garnering a majority of the impressions and a good part of the clicks.  Thus wasting the money/budget that I have set for this campaign, on a platform that I don't want. 

Has anyone figured out a way to truely create a mobile only campaign?  This is getting frustrating. So much for the unEnhanced campaigns.....

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Mobile Targeting Issue

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello, Key_West_Expres.

Did you set up your ads as it is specified here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2472719?hl=en&rd=1 ?

I hope you did not create WAP mobile ads in order to have them show on mobile devices. What you need is to create standard text ads and check the box next to "Mobile" under the Destination URL.

7 ads in your ad group should have the Mobile checkbox checked and 1 should have it unchecked, so that it may show on desktops.

In case you created WAP mobile ads they will not show on smartphones and the only eligible ad may be the one you intended to show on desktops.

Sorry if this is not your case, but I can see no other reason for which ads specifically declared as preferred for mobile don't show and one which should show on desktop would take their place.

I re-read your message and realized you said majority and good part and not "all". So what remains to be checked is the "mobile" checkbox.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
You are correct in your assumption. No WAP ads. The 7 mobile ad's, do have the mobile check box ticked and the lone ad does not.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
I should be clearer also. The " mobile " ad's are getting some clicks, but unfortunately the best performing ad (highest CTR and has the highest % served ration) is the "desktop" one that I don't want performing at all....

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Can you check and add the Device segment while in the Ads tab in an ad group and see if you're getting mobile clicks for the desktop ad and the other way around? On aggregate it may just be possible that you're getting much more desktop searches than mobile searches.

You can also use the ad preview tool while specifying the device to see if the system serves them correctly and if you show on mobile or not.

I just hope that it is not a case when mobile competition is very tough and the current bid combination is already high enough for desktop but still not good enough for mobile.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Checked and all mobile ad's are only being shown on mobile and the 1 non-mobile is only being shown on desktop and tablets.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Which means that the current bids & modifier brings you a lot more desktop than mobile traffic.

What you can try is see if there are search terms that appear more often on desktop than on mobile and use them as negatives, in the hope that they will block some desktop traffic. But you'll have to be cautious about that and make sure it is worth the trouble.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Took a look at the key words and they are valid keywords, so don't want to exclude them, either.... Oh, for the good old days, when you could do what you really wanted AdWords to do.....

Maybe dropping the keyword bid on just those particular words/phrases???

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
I'm sure keywords are valid, but maybe at search term level there may be some differences. You know, when on mobile people use to type less (though auto-complete may kick in and finish the job for them).

If there's really no difference between search terms at device level then my idea is useless.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Not a problem. I'm looking at any and everything.... Going to give a shot at reducing my bids below first page and see if that does anything.

Sure wish Google would give us that ability back...