AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.6K members online now
2.6K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Mobile Specific GDN

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I'm starting to make sense of Google's mobile bid adjustment changes now and have a question to see how I could set up what I'm desiring -- if still possible.

I'm looking to have a campaign targeting desktop/tablet and a separate campaign targeting mobile only. I can bid down mobile traffic but not desktop from what I'm seeing. The issue on my end is the mobile and desktop campaigns do not use the same creative and landing pages, so I don't want desktop going to the mobile campaigns and vice versa, even though the targeting is the same (investing topic placements). The easy answer is two campaigns bidding down the traffic I don't want but I'm not finding this as an option. 

Any advice on how to proceed here so I can achieve what I'm seeking?

Thanks all!

Nathan Hamilton

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Mobile Specific GDN

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Nathan,

This won't work 100% of the time, but you can get it to work most of the time. Set up your desktop/tablet campaign with a -100% bid modifier for mobile and a default bid high enough to get placements.

Now, duplicate that campaign. Lower the default bids significantly and add a +300% bid modifier for mobile. Mark the ads in the mobile campaign as mobile preferred. That will catch most of the traffic.

If you have separate landing pages for desktop and mobile, use the {ifmobile} Value Track in your destination URL. Something like this: www.mydomain.com/{ifmobileSmiley Tongueage1.html}{ifnotmobileSmiley Tongueage2.html}. That will assure the correct landing page is shown even if the wrong ad is shown.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords