Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Mixing broad with BMM?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello everybody.

My client just deleted my keyword +miami +shipping +companies and added  +miami +shipping companies (without the last +).

I think what he is trying to do is to use the word 'companies' as broad to maybe get impressions for 'companies' synonyms.

Is that even possible? I read some people saying that the only way you can mix match types is broad with BMM (something like my client did) but I never did that.

I know for a fact that this new keyword he added got impressions. Any guesses how AdWords understands this?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Pedro M
November 2016

Mixing broad with BMM?

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes, you can do that.  Modified broad match accepts a mix.  In your client's version, "companies" will match to a much wider range of search terms. So done this way, the keyword becomes a sort of pseudo-broad match, much tighter than full broad match; but accepting a lot more search terms to match to the "companies". The words "miami" and "shipping" or close variants will still be required of course.

hth

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Pedro M
November 2016

Mixing broad with BMM?

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes, you can do that.  Modified broad match accepts a mix.  In your client's version, "companies" will match to a much wider range of search terms. So done this way, the keyword becomes a sort of pseudo-broad match, much tighter than full broad match; but accepting a lot more search terms to match to the "companies". The words "miami" and "shipping" or close variants will still be required of course.

hth

Mixing broad with BMM?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you Steve!

Glad to know that actually works.

Mixing broad with BMM?

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Sure.  fyi I usually use modified broad with only the "required" (+) terms, then you get a better discovery of what they are matching with.  Anything I know it is match with becomes phrase/exact match.  

I use the modified broad keywords primarily as discover mechanisms, by watching the search term stream and what matches up to them. The phrase and exact keywords you can derive to that, will give you a tighter match to profitable search terms without all the noise.