Guide Me
star_border

Misleading Help Guide

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

t3ir6tf[1].png

One would think, based on looking at this popout help section, that location refers to the physical location of the person seeing the ad. 

And I would argue, that in most cases, when a beginner advertiser wants to target by location, they understand location to be physical location, making this even more misleading.

Anyone agree? 

Google - Please can you consider changing this to make it clearer?

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Misleading Help Guide

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi,

I understand what you are trying to say here but you should also consider that AdWords does give you advanced location targeting options where you can choose to show ads to.

Comm 1.png

Choosing between these three options makes or breaks your overall targeting strategy. Here is an AdWords link that elaborates on how to use this option to make the best choice for your campaign: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722038?hl=en

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Shashank

Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi dreamerdad2012,

Location does, in most cases, refer to the physical location of the user. What's misleading about this?

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Shashank - Thanks for your answer. Yes, I am indeed well aware of the advanced targeting settings. And they are extremely useful in allowing one to geotarget an ad campaign only to people who are *physically* located in a specific location. My point is that the help guide misleadingly suggests that one is doing precisely this sort of physical location targeting when in fact, by default, one is not. The default setting for the advanced settings does not line up with the physical location meaning of targeting that is suggested by the help guide. There are businesses for whom physical location targeting is not only of practical ad optimization/performance consequence but also of legal, regulatory consequence. My guess is that many beginner advertisers think they understand what Google means by "location" but their understanding does not encompass all that Google means by it. And that is kind of a major problem particularly in light of the legal issues I mentioned. I am simply suggesting that Google needs to do a better job in the help guide of pointing out that "location" has meanings that the advertiser may not realize and that those meanings are further clarified in the support doc... Also, I see no reason why the default advanced setting includes locations of interest when the help guide makes absolutely no mention of such a meaning and in fact suggests the physical location meaning.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
OK;
Point taken;
I have escalated the case to Google's editorial team, to review your comment.
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
@MosheTLV - Thanks so much for escalating this.

Rising Star
# 7
Rising Star
Point noted dreamerdad!

Now that Moshe has escalated your query to Google, I am sure something good is bound to come out of this.

Thanks & Cheers!

Shashank
Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Moshe - Just checking in on this. Are you anticipating a response from Google to your case escalation? if so, any idea when that will be? A month? Several months? Hard to say? Thanks again, Hugh

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
@dreamerdad;
Google does not report back on editorial issues. Once the case is submitted it goes through the LONG process of text editing.
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Moshe - Do we know whether the case is now going through the long process of text editing? Or does Google give absolutely no indication one way or the other such that we just wait and see what they decide to do?