Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Misleading Adwords Videos and Expert Info

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I usually have a lot of respect for experts and videos and i go through them, but with adwords my experience is different ...

I am posting this so that other new users do not fall in this trap ....

On all adwords videos online posted by their partners and people who work for google, they post that one should post CPA bid as high as possible to start and then keep adjusting it or lowering it ...

Its totally wrong ...

So i am from india and i posted a CPA of Rs. 25 , so i started getting some impressions and installs, decent ones.

I then reduced the bid a bit, i still kept getting impressions ...

I then increased the bid to Rs. 100, and you know what in a matter of minutes my account was exhausted and the cost per conversion went up by 5 times ... This whole nonsense of adwords taking care of advertisers interest and adjusting bids to our benefit is wrong ...

What i suggest is keep the bids as low as possible, if we all keep our bids low , adwords will be forced to show ads at lower rates ...this is the strategy we all must adopt ...

Google is making billion up on billion of dollars spreading false propaganda using its videos and so called experts, avoid  them i say ....

Bishu

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Misleading Adwords Videos and Expert Info

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Bishu,

AdWords advertising is a massive system, covering a huge variety of business types, locations, competition and quality of ads. And advertiser skill sets.

No simple recommendation is going to work for everyone. Google has to balance their recommendations with ease-of use, usefulness and profitability.

There are numerous settings and recommendation where I choose a different way, but I understand that in many cases they work well.

One example is broad keywords. Googlers who help with client campaigns are generally very keen to add broad keywords. I have seen lots of accounts where this has worked very well, and quite a few where this is disastrous.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

@RobSkelton - thanks for the info, i have started a new campaign and my campaign are for app installs, this time i have started with lower bids, lets see if adwords gives me any installs ...

Bishu

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

hi 

I agree you should be careful with your budget spend but at the same time the adwords system is complicated and what will work on one account wont work on another one. so the important thing is testing and try using best practices.

regards, 

zaby 

Adwords consutlant

My Site

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

@Zaby -  you are right , but my question is , if you go through the google videos, NEVER i mean NEVER do  they mention all this possible pitfalls, they quite confidently suggest to have full faith in the adwords model ...

They "ASSURE" us that they must trust google algorithm and that it will work in the best interest of advertisers ...

Well that is simply a "LIE" ...

Then you come across the enlightened experts who find "FAULTS" in advertisers rather then their "ALGORITHM" ...

Bishu

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@Bishu P;

I respectfully disagree. Google constantly advocates various bidding ststegies based on your goals. This is  explicitly taught and  explained in the learning  center and in Google's online training material.

Could you link the  training / teaching video by Google you are referring to?

Here are 2  articles on the help center;

Determine a bid strategy based on your goals

Understanding bidding basics

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

@MosheTLV - this one - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDsywiB3XC0

She mentions quite a few times to not change settings as "ALGORITHM" will do best for you , she also clearly suggest, to "BID MUCH HIGHER" then what you want ...

She is also "Google Partner" ...

I found her video using search term - "universal app campaign tips and tricks for low bids"

Bishu

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Bishu,

So that you know I also have some concerns about the algorithms in automated strategies and think it is your responsibility to be as cautious with them as you can. That said, they are sometimes epic. (Thanks to one of them, the client' website won an important prize In Dubai late 2014. However, we experienced major difficulties a few months prior to that.)

- The referenced video was uploaded to YT by a certain Gene Fernandes and I cannot see a reason why I should assume it is endorsed by Google.

- 38 mins is too long for me to listen to Indian English, could you please pinpoint the interval in the video we should listen to?

- So that you know the Google Partner status - though it sounds great - can be won by anybody taking exams, and leading an agency. It does not require affiliation with Google.

BIshu, as you told me earlier the "devil is in the details". Always.

Best,
Lakatos