AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.9K members online now
3.9K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Misleading AdWords users by allowing to use exact match display keyw.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

As a user who first tries the Display network targeting, coming from an experience with match types in Search Network campaigns, my clients tend to use exact match operator for display keywords targeting.

Since the system does not show any warning or error message for adding display keywords with match type operators, the beginer adwords users that I have met , expect that an exact match display keyword will only show their banner ads on pages where the keyword is exactly in the ad text.

When they see the Display URL report with the pages and they check a single page not finding the exact words from the keyword, they feel cheated.

Can google please stop misleading users with allowing them to add exact match display keywords when these keywords do not respect the [ ] operator behaviour ? A simple error or warning would be enough.

This is another default setting made to overspend, an exact match display keyword is set as default to match a much larger variety of pages by acting as a broad match keyword.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Misleading AdWords users by allowing to use exact match display ke

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Well... Adrian... You well know that   Google strongly advocates the notion of "learn  before starting to advertise".

It sounds weird to me that the client started to advertise on the display network without  learning first  the concept of "contextual targeting", which is basic for a successful campaign on display.

>>"When your keyword matches a webpage’s concepts or its central theme, your ad is eligible to show on that webpage (also known as an automatic placement).

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2404186

Our system analyzes the content of each Display Network webpage or URL, considering factors such as the following:

• Text
  • Language
  • Link structure
  • Page structure

Based on this analysis, the central theme of each webpage is determined.

This is a misconception that keywords targeting for display is based on matching  to   an individual keyword within the text.

Once the ad is clicked,  the system determines a "leading keyword" which is  considered "best match" to the theme of the webpage, and to that keyword the click is attributed.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Sure, let's pretend again that the elephant is not in the room and blame the user for not learning the system, when in fact such error messages are supposed to be there to avoid misleading the user.

And the reason why google does didn't include an industry standard warning or error message  for saving a display keyword with match type operators is what ?

a) Google is unaware of the problem of lacking this error message , because it slipped the programming design stage.

b) Google is also unaware of this problem because it slipped the programming stage test, where a tester should have pointed out the need for such an error while saving the display keyword.

c) Google is aware of the problem, knows that this has to be fixed but they have a low priority for the task, and it will take some more years until a programmer gets to it and fixes it in around 15 minutes.

d) Intention to mislead , since AdWords makes more money by selling a broader choice of traffic, from the user assumption that display keywords with exact match type will restrict display traffic , when in fact the operator they used for the display keyword does not restrict traffic .

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

If this problem is too difficult to understand, let's make an analogy :

controlling traffic with a keyword match type = controlling a car direction with a steering wheel.

Match type operator exact match for a search keyword = user turns the steering wheel to the left, and as a result the car moves to the left

Match type operator exact match for a display keyword = user turns the steering wheel to the left, and as a result, the car keeps moving forward or turns to the right, as the steering wheel (the control) is absent for the car user.

Users expect to have control over the keyword with the match type operator, while for display keywords , this control is absent, and there is no error or warning for it.

This has nothing to do with learning the system before using it.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Adrian,

I understand your concern. That match types have no effect on display, but if you actually look at match types it specifically tells you that match type only has control with regards to matching a users 'search'.

"Use matching options with your keywords to help control which searches can trigger your ad"

The first line of what match types are....
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497836?hl=en

The article on match types then goes on to specifically say:

"You can use keyword match types with campaigns that show ads on the Search Network. On the Display Network, keywords are treated as broad match"

Along every step of match typing and contextual targeting it is made abundantly clear that match types have no effect on Display.

At the end of the day there are many incorrect assumptions that you could make about how the platform works, There are many mistakes that can be made and money wasted.

It simply comes down to understanding how it works before using it. Expecting an error message for every single misconception is a bit excessive, even in this one case. The point being that arguing for this one case is a slippery slope, as there is no warning for modified broad in negatives, or using modifiers in exact match and so forth.

On another note, This editing of keyword match types for display can only be done on the editor, which is a tool designed to help with large scale changes and is not perfect, it is an offline tool that is standardized irrespective of what you are working on.

You can not select a keyword match type when adding keywords to a display only campaign (from the platform), So I fail to see how this is an issue? If you can not actually give a match type to keyword in a display campaign, then a warning would be useless.

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

The AdWords interface does more than (edited) NOT preventing the user from saving display keywords with match types, the interface offers for users different volume estimates of impressions based on the match type of the display keyword entered as targeting

Watch the screenshots below with exact match display keyword and phrase match display keyword and judge for yourselves.

If the match type does not apply for a display keyword, then why are the volumes for estimates of impressions changed according to the match type of the display keyword ? To deceive the user that the match type on display keywords restricts traffic just as the match type for a search keyword ?

Including a warning or an error message for this case is important because it has a large scale impact on everyone trying to use display keywords as targeting, while people who try to use BMM negative keywords are much less.

About "On another note, This editing of keyword match types for display can only be done on the editor, which is a tool designed to help with large scale changes and is not perfect, it is an offline tool that is standardized irrespective of what you are working on.

You can not select a keyword match type when adding keywords to a display only campaign (from the platform), So I fail to see how this is an issue? If you can not actually give a match type to keyword in a display campaign, then a warning would be useless. "

My friend, I am not talking about the AdWords editor or the inexisten option to select match type from a button in the "display keywords" tab.

I am talking about users who are prompted to set targeting when first creating a Display Ad Group, and they have the first option with the following text :

"

Choose how to target your ads
Display keywords – show ads on sites related to your keywords."

When they click on "Display Keywords" they are prompted with a text box to enter keywords, and in this text box users can set match type display keywords, for example I can save the keyword [google adwords] as a display keyword.

Please see here how when I add the exact match display keyword , google does not issue a warning about the match type operator, more than this it estimates that for this keyword I will get from 1000 to 1500 impressions , right ?

exact-match-1500-impressions.png

Watch closely what happens if I add the same keyword as a phrase match, the impressions estimate increases to over 5000 impressions, as if the display keyword in exact match and the display keyword as phrase match have different traffic in Display :

phrase-match-display-keyword.png

Now tell me if the system is not designed to be deceptive towards match types for display keywords ?

Does the AdWords interface prevent me from hitting "save and continue" in the creating of this ad group because I have a match type for a display keyword ? No , so this is the result :

phrase-match-display-keyword-saves.png

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Adrian,

I recreated your experiment and did not get the same results. I assume you are doing that in an established campaign (perhaps a search & display select) Because that is not what happens in a pure display campaign with no other targeting. See below:

Broad Display.PNG

Phrase Display.PNG

Exact Display.PNG

Furthermore, While "" and [] are indicative of match typing they do not necessarily mean that the keyword is being considered phrase or exact.

I can legitimately add a keyword [Buy +Red Apples] or "Buy Red" Apples or [Buy Juicy] "Red Apples".

Those keywords can be added but does not mean they will work as I am expecting them too.

But more importantly, you can not set a match type to keywords on the display network, and thus any match type indicators that you manually add will not be recognized.

It is like complaining that your HTML code does not work properly when you used javscript syntax.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Clynton,

I am glad that at least you got to see how Display keywords can be added in the interface, contrary to what you were thinking in the previous post.

I am doing this research in a new Display network only campaign , all features, but targeting a single city, this si why I see smaller results.

The reason why you see identical estimates is because you have not recreated my conditions, in the first screen shot you have a broad match display keyword, while I illustrated an [exact match display keyword] versus the same keyword in phrase match.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

@Clynton

Now I see that your 3rd screenshot uses exact match for display.

Try targeting a single city , a small location to  see the difference in estimates.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Adrian,

As I said previously, Using "" and [] does not make a keyword that match type specifically, it is a syntax used on the search network. Match types are not available on display and thus using those match type indicators (such as [] for exact) has no effect as they are not recognized.

I have tried multiple different cities now and have yet to see a difference. See below:

Phrase city.PNG

exact city.PNG