AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.1K members online now
4.1K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Mis info on Google Analytics account

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I sent an email re my GA account. shinemusicproductions@gmail.com. Asking why? If somebody in Kildare of co Dublin looks at my site. www.shinemusicproductions.com Google analytics is showing it as Dublin city or Dublin south. This is of no use to me if this continues. I got no reply from my last email. Hopefully I will from this one.
Regards. Robbie
2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Mis info on Google Analytics account

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Robbie,
I'm from Ireland and have experienced this.

In Ireland, we're small and we have a limited number of ISPs.
What that means is that we get assigned IP addresses from our local ISP exchanges. Unfortunately, our IP address location may not be where we are located but where our exchange is located. Even outside Ireland, unless you have a static IP address, your IP address wont reveal your exact location.

This is particularly bad with Eircom and Vodafone. There simply isn't an exchange for all ISPs in all counties.

This isn't Google's problem. Google uses IP addresses to define primary location (among other things) and in Ireland, because of our ISPs, our IP addresses aren't usually close to us or even in the same county as us!

For Dublin and Cork it's not an issue because that's where the exchanges are. In more rural counties, it's a lot worse.

Nothing you can do about it I'm afraid. it's the joys of living in a small country.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
I live in Southern Spain. When I connect in my office GA reports me correctly as being in Marbella. when I connect at home it tells me I am in Madrid - 600km away.

It's not Google's fault - it does the best it can to "locate" you... but it can be frustrating!

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
This is also a problem in Australia where I have a number of clients - and that's not a small country at all! Just depends on how the internet network has been installed. This issue will probably get worse before it gets better as larger city hubs will be able to handle much more traffic and will eliminate the need for local relays. This could be a bigger problem in developing countries where internet connections, when they arrive will be the fastest and most up to date there is. Where in the UK and US we moved from dial up to ISDN to broadband over a period of 15 years or so - new installations in the developing world will go from nothing to lightning.