4.5K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Merging AdWords accounts

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I work for a fairly large organization that has grown and changed over the years. Departments merging, etc. As a result we have 2 AdWords accounts for 2 different areas of the site. These accounts are not in competition with each other or anything like that. But we want them to be managed now by one person under one account.  Is it possible to merge them or to transfer one account into the other.

Everything I find searching online is really just telling how to merge 2 google email accounts as it relates to one AdWords account. When we try to follow those instructions and "invite" a new user it rejects the other account because it already exists in the system. I want to merge the AdWords campaigns and, if at all possible, all the historical data.

Can anybody give me directions on what to do?

Celeste

3 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by RachelM (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Merging AdWords accounts

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Celeste,

Merging two AdWords accounts is not possible. What you can do is have that person open an MCC account and tie both your accounts to the MCC. That way that person can manage both accounts with a single login.

You can't use the same email address for both an MCC account and a regular AdWords account. If the email address for the new manager is already tied to an AdWords account, you'll either need to remove that address from that account or get a new email address.

You can not use the same email address for more than one AdWords account. My suggestion is to remove the address from the account to which it attached, as long as at least one admin remains associated with that account. Then use that address for your MCC account.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor Alumni
# 3
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi Celeste,

As Pete suggested, an MCC is a good way to have a single login to be able to manage both accounts more easily.

The other way woudl be to use AdWords Editor to copy across the campaigns from one account into the other. This way you only need to have one AdWords account running and all stats are in one place.

The downfall of this is that it won't bring any history with it but both methods do have their pros and cons.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Celeste,

Merging two AdWords accounts is not possible. What you can do is have that person open an MCC account and tie both your accounts to the MCC. That way that person can manage both accounts with a single login.

You can't use the same email address for both an MCC account and a regular AdWords account. If the email address for the new manager is already tied to an AdWords account, you'll either need to remove that address from that account or get a new email address.

You can not use the same email address for more than one AdWords account. My suggestion is to remove the address from the account to which it attached, as long as at least one admin remains associated with that account. Then use that address for your MCC account.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor Alumni
# 3
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi Celeste,

As Pete suggested, an MCC is a good way to have a single login to be able to manage both accounts more easily.

The other way woudl be to use AdWords Editor to copy across the campaigns from one account into the other. This way you only need to have one AdWords account running and all stats are in one place.

The downfall of this is that it won't bring any history with it but both methods do have their pros and cons.

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

Hi Celeste,

I agree with Pete. Setting up an MCC account and linking both AdWords accounts to it will allow you to log in from a single location and view your individual AdWords accounts. More information about creating an MCC can be found here.

I hope this helps!

Rachel

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

All,

Thanks for your help and advise! I spent 3 very frustrating days trying to move my 4 campaaigns from one account to the other using Adwords Editor. It moved one campaign and for the rest, try as I might, it would upload the name and budget info, but no content. No ads at all. Why it moved the one on the first try and nothing else ever I will never know. APparently there is no technical support for AdWords Editor. Just "documentation."

So now I am trying the "MCC" approach. I went ahead and created the account. Thank you RachelM for the link to the instructions. Until your post I had no idea what an MCC account even was. I had never heard of it before. So now I am going to see if I can figure out how to add my accounts from there.

Fingers crossed! But I may be writing again!

Google Employee
# 6
Google Employee

lsapdas wrote:

Thanks for your help and advise! I spent 3 very frustrating days trying to move my 4 campaaigns from one account to the other using Adwords Editor. It moved one campaign and for the rest, try as I might, it would upload the name and budget info, but no content.

My guess is, all the ad groups in those campaigns are marked with Deleted status. Editor won't copy such ad groups (it assumes that since you deleted them, you don't care about them anymore). If you do in fact want to copy them over, change the status of those ad groups temporarily (to Active or Paused, doesn't matter which). You don't need to actually post these changes - just change the status in Editor, copy the campaign, open the other account, paste. Once copied, you can go back to the original account and revert the status changes.

Also, double-check that Editor actually has the complete contents of these deleted campaigns and ad groups. By default, Editor doesn't download them. This can be changed under Tools > Settings (on Mac: AdWords Editor > Preferences) > Download > Download deleted and ended campaigns and ad groups. If you change this setting from unchecked to checked, perform Get Recent Changes > More Data (slower) to guarantee Editor does have complete up-to-date contents in all deleted campaigns and ad groups. Now you should be able to go through the process I described earlier, to copy these campaigns to another account.

Finally, please be aware that there is phone support for AdWords, as announced here:

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2011/04/free-phone-support-for-adwords.html

I assume (but don't know for sure, I must admit) that representatives there can field Editor-related issues, among others.