AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Measuring geografic performaces

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
In this exemple, found on Google guide how is it possible that San Francisco has 30 impression( physical+interested location) and 90 impressions only as location of interest)?
Do you know why?

You own a bookstore in Sacramento. When you pull a report for “What triggered your ad” (which includes physical location and location of interest data), you find that you’ve gotten 70 ad impressions in Sacramento and 30 ad impressions in San Francisco.
You then pull a report for “Where your users were” (which includes only physical location data) and finds that you’ve received 10 ad impressions in Sacramento and 90 impressions in San Francisco.
You draw the conclusion that most people searching for your business are physically located in San Francisco, so you decide to allocate more of your advertising budget there.

Thank you for your reply.
Best,
Semhar
2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Semhar Y
September 2015

Re: Measuring geografic performaces

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Hi Semhar,

I will try explaining it differently for you. 

In your example, “What triggered your ad” report says you got 70 ad impressions in Sacramento and 30 ad impressions in San Francisco.

Now, when you pull a report for “Where your users were”, it says 10 ad impressions in Sacramento and 90 impressions in San Francisco. This is the scenario, right?

Now, consider a situation when you ads are performing better in San Francisco and not so good in Sacramento. The reasons can be varied for this, for instance, your bids are being defeated for the first page rank in Sacramento but winning good positions in San Francisco. 

What will happen now?

If a user in San Francisco searches 'book store Sacramento' and your ads appear, this impression will be credited to Sacramento, not to SF.  Why? Because of the location term included in the query, and because of the absence of IP location hint.  

This is the reason when you pull a report for “Where your users were”, you will see more impression from SF.

Secondlyyou are not supposed to add these X and Y. 

Why?  

Here' the explanation for 'what triggered your ads' -

• Your customers were physically located in Sacramento (when the ad was shown to someone in your targeted location).
  • Your customers showed interest in (when the ad was matched to a location in their search, or content that they viewed). 

It means, the impression count for Sacramento excludes the impressions that were resulted by people from SF, but includes the count that was resulted by that geographic term in the users' query. 

And, here's the explanation for Y-

See where the people whom viewed or clicked your ads were physically located, regardless of any locations they may have shown interest in.

It means all those impressions which were resulted by that geographic term in the users' query are now counted to SF as the users were physically present here. 

Hope it helps now. 

Thanks
Ratan

Join me on Google+

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC.
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

View solution in original post

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,

I also I would like to understand if a advertiser target the city San Francisco (specific city) as location of interest and a user search via google.com (Usa country, general) will the ad be triggered?

Thank you again

Semhar

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Semhar,

Welcome to AdWords Community.

Yes, it is possible. Let me explain how...?

When you use Keyword Tool, it shows you estimated data based on Exact Match Keywords but in your actual campaigns you might have broad match keywords which obviously triggers your ad for many other broadly matched keywords and close variants other than the exact match. This is the reason, you see increased impressions. 

Above all, the tool gives you an estimate which can practically be different from of the actual numbers. 

Hope it helps.

Thanks
Ratan

Join me on Google+

If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Semhar,

With location of interests in question, the ads can still trigger even when the user is not physically present in the said location. In general cases, your ads can trigger if the users' query include  the said location name. 

Here's what Google says -

Some examples of how we might detect a location of interest if a user does any of the following:

• Includes the name of a recognizable location in her search.
  • Searches within an area of the map on Google Maps or Google Maps for Mobile.
  • Sets a custom location for Google search results.
  • Uses a country-specific domain, such as google.fr (France), without including another location in the search. This will indicate the country specified in the domain (France, in this instance) as a location that the person may be interested in.
  • Views content on the Google Display Network related to a geographic location. We may infer a location associated with a page or site when we believe it will be useful for targeting your ads. A location mentioned on a page may not always indicate interest in that location. For example, someone who is reading news about San Francisco isn’t necessarily interested in ads for San Francisco florists. Similarly, we might infer an interest in a location, even if that location isn't specifically mentioned on a page, but the context of the entire site indicates an interest in that place.

If you do not want it to happen, you can go with Advanced Location targeting. 

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722038?hl=en

Thanks
Ratan

Join me on Google+

Community Manager
# 5
Community Manager
Great insights Ratan. Thanks for helping our Community user Semhar.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Thank you Mini.

Rising Star
# 7
Rising Star

Hi Semhar,

Ratan has given you some great advice here. I would just like to elaborate on the Advanced Location Targeting part.

Basically, this allows you to choose between showing ads only to the people in your targeted location or to people who show an interest in your targeted location.

Advanced location targeting options allow you to reach:

• People in, searching for, or viewing pages about your targeted location (default)
  • People in your targeted location
  • People searching for or viewing pages about your targeted location

So, if we take your example from the second question on SF, here, any one who searches for products or services related to your themes and has shown interest in your targeted location, say by using the keyword 'San Francisco" in their query, your ad is bound to show up for them.

However, if you were to limit your ad to only the people in SF and looking for your products/services, then you need to change your advanced location targeting to 'People in my targeted location".

Also, if you are interested, here is a great page on the difference between what Google means by 'Physical Location' & 'Location of Interest': https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2453995?rd=1

Do give this read and it will help you understand the difference.

Hope this Helps!

Cheers!

Shashank

Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

Community Manager
# 8
Community Manager
The more the merrier. Thank you Shashank.

@Semhar - Ratan and Shashank would definitely be curious to know if they could provide the clarification needed.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
First of thank you all for your replies, however I still dont understand.
If the report says I got 30 impression for search with SF as location of interest or physical location it means that X times my ad was triggered by having SF as location of interest and Y by having SF as physical location. Where X+Y= 30.

Then why you see then that Y=90??

It doesnt make sense to me, unless Google counts Y differently based on the geographic performances reports it uses: geographic and user location. Is it? For exemple, for user location report if I opt "People in, searching for, or viewing pages about your targeted location": San Francisco and in the case a user doesn’t put any location in the search query ( and Google doesn’t know his IP) but search through google.com ( which stand for Usa, but he could be physically in New York instead) would still see my ad and therefore will be counted under user location report but not under geographic report? Is it correct?

Thanks again
Semhar

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Semhar Y
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Hi Semhar,

I will try explaining it differently for you. 

In your example, “What triggered your ad” report says you got 70 ad impressions in Sacramento and 30 ad impressions in San Francisco.

Now, when you pull a report for “Where your users were”, it says 10 ad impressions in Sacramento and 90 impressions in San Francisco. This is the scenario, right?

Now, consider a situation when you ads are performing better in San Francisco and not so good in Sacramento. The reasons can be varied for this, for instance, your bids are being defeated for the first page rank in Sacramento but winning good positions in San Francisco. 

What will happen now?

If a user in San Francisco searches 'book store Sacramento' and your ads appear, this impression will be credited to Sacramento, not to SF.  Why? Because of the location term included in the query, and because of the absence of IP location hint.  

This is the reason when you pull a report for “Where your users were”, you will see more impression from SF.

Secondlyyou are not supposed to add these X and Y. 

Why?  

Here' the explanation for 'what triggered your ads' -

• Your customers were physically located in Sacramento (when the ad was shown to someone in your targeted location).
  • Your customers showed interest in (when the ad was matched to a location in their search, or content that they viewed). 

It means, the impression count for Sacramento excludes the impressions that were resulted by people from SF, but includes the count that was resulted by that geographic term in the users' query. 

And, here's the explanation for Y-

See where the people whom viewed or clicked your ads were physically located, regardless of any locations they may have shown interest in.

It means all those impressions which were resulted by that geographic term in the users' query are now counted to SF as the users were physically present here. 

Hope it helps now. 

Thanks
Ratan

Join me on Google+