AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Max.CPC change reverts next day

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have ad group default bid 0,15. I have added manually different Max.CPC for each keyword, lets say it was 0,06 for [random keyword]. Then i wanted to use ad group default bids again for [random keyword]. I have changed Max.CPC blank many times, but each time when i open account the next day, i see that it has the old max.CPC-s (0,06) back. I have done it many times and even Change History shows that ("1 broad match keyword max CPC increased

[random keyword]: €0.06 to default (€0.15)") but still i cant get it to stay "blank". Am i doing something wrong, or is this some kind of error?

Thanks in advance.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Kris,

Honestly, I could not follow your story 100%, however, my best guess is that the clue that you are missing is that keyword specific bids do override ad group level default bids.

Best,

Lakatos

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Sorry for my poor English. Yes i understand that manually set max.CPC overrides ad group default bid. But when i remove my manual changes to keywords(change manual cpc to blank), then immediately after doing that it shows my max cpc for these keywords are "ad group automatic bid". But when i open Adwords account next day, then the same keywords have my previously manually set max.CPC back again (and not ad group default anymore).

Re: Max.CPC change reverts next day

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Kris,

Are you using any automated bid strategy?

Or another reason could be while making the default ad group bid to all the keywords associated with that ad group, you are not selecting all the keywords.

If all the keywords are not visible on the single page of AdWords UI, you need to select "all rows across all pages" (shown in screenshot) or increase the number of rows per page at the bottom right.

all keywords.jpg

Regards
Archit, AdWords Top Contributor, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi @Kris,

Maybe that @Archit is on the right path. Will see.

Anyway what you are saying in your second post should not be happening. Definitely not without your active intervention. (I assume you would have mentioned any use of an automated rule, strategy, script etc.)

Difficult to check on what you see on the next day. Anyway, I made an experiment with a keyword (currency trading) and it is still carrying the default bid. Will see if it switches back to the former manual max CPC by tomorrow. (It should not. If it does, that's a pretty huge issue.)

Will update you tomorrow.

Best,

Lakatos

Re: Max.CPC change reverts next day

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi again and thanks for help so far. Maybe it still is my fault. I attached a image below, please tell me if i shuld see E0,15 with grey color font on Max.CPC column if i have removed all manual values(0,15 is my ad group default bid)? Or maybe it is correct on the image and it just shows that real Max.CPC is lover than ad group default?

1.png

The next image shows that i have increased the same keywords to default on each day: Feb 9; 13 and 15. I estimated that it is some Adwords error becuse i have not changed max CPC values back from default to manual between these dates. Or maybe it is because after changing it to default, it doesnt show me default values anymore but real maximum cost per click so far (so i have misunderstood max CPC concept)?

2.png

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi @Kris,

"tell me if i shuld see E0,15 with grey color font on Max.CPC column if i have removed all manual values(0,15 is my ad group default bid)?"

That's correct; that's what you should see.

The second image shows that the keywords shown defaulted back to 0.15 during the past few days, i.e. probably you removed the manual CPC values and saved blank fields if I understand you correctly.

However, it does not seem a valid complaint, it's way too unusual. I'd bet there is some very simple explanation. E.g. You have some automated mechanism working in the background or someone else has access to the account.

Best,

Lakatos

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

"The second image shows that the keywords shown defaulted back to 0.15 during the past few days, i.e. probably you removed the manual CPC values and saved blank fields if I understand you correctly."

- Yes, excactly.

And yes i also think there must be some simple explanation (probably my mistake) but i cannot figure it out and it cannot be those suggested by You (to my knowledge i have not used any script or automation etc + im 100% sure noone else but me has access to my account). I think i will make new campaign and disable old one and hope this helps. Thanks again.

Best regards

Kris