3.8K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Matched Search Queries Negative keywords showing up in Matched Search Queries

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a good list of negatives that I have been working on for a while. I am promoting christian camp events for the client so "horse" is a negative keyword. Today the client brings to my attention that the phrase "camps florida horses" showed up in the Queries report for the 19th (yesterday). 

What has went wrong? 

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Matched Search Queries Negative keywords showing up in Matched Search Queries

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello Oneano,

The possible reasons for this can be:

You set the negative keyword for particular Ad group level not at campaign level

Second reason can be, you are using negative keyword as phrase or exact match, in that case your ad can trigger for keywords which have horse keyword.

Plesase check these things at your end.

Dinesh
My Blog

Re: Matched Search Queries Negative keywords showing up in Matched Search Queries

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner

Just to echo and reinforce what Dinesh said, adding horse as a broad match campaign negative keyword, should prevent any horse related queries from triggering an ad. 

You know, no horseplay, horse raddish, horse hockey, looking a gift horse in the mouth, or any other horse related puns which may be more humorous. Smiley Happy

Tom

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Im not at the office right now so I cannt look at it. But I am certain that the work "horse" is a campaign level broad match negative and the work "horses" showed up in my query report. 

If anyone has any insight please, let me know. I will confirm this tomorrow. 

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Horse seems not to been the same as Horses.

Important: If your campaign is opted in to Google or the Search Network, you should still add singular and plural variations of your keywords, as well as misspellings . Negative Keywords

Or did I get something wrong here ?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

This campaign is on the search network and not on the content network. The term horse is negative, horses is not and this is set at the campaign level. "camps florida horses" shows up in my keyword report. I am targeting camps and florida.

It says very specifically " you don't need to include singular or plural variations of your negative keywords" Yet this seems to be exactly what happened to me. 

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=98426&topic=16390&ctx=topic

Anyone have an idea of what may have happened? If the answer is obvious, I am not seeing it. 

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey oneano,

I don't have an exact answer to your issue, however I do have some what of a deterant. I tend to trust myself more often then to rely on Google to produce the results that I want. So what I usually do when adding negative keywords is to add them as phrase match, both singular and plural. For example -"horse" and -"horses". Mispellings still find their way through, but I feel this gives me greater control over my negative keyword list.

Again, sorry I don't have an exact answer for your issue, but above is a practice that I implement and has been successful. 

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

It says very specifically " you don't need to include singular or plural variations of your negative keywords" Yet this seems to be exactly what happened to me.

Actually it says very specifically: Therefore, if your campaign is only opted in to the Content Network (and not into Google or the Search Network), you don't need to include singular or plural variations of your negative keywords.

And on top of that it says at the bottom of that page:

Important: If your campaign is opted in to Google or the Search Network, you should still add singular and plural variations of your keywords, as well as misspellings.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

I went into my list and cleaned them up a bit..something that I havent done for this account in a while. Added a lot of plurals and posessives too. 

Thanks to everyone for your insight. 

Top Contributor Alumni
# 10
Top Contributor Alumni

Just to contradict in a minor way, adding the word horse as a negative broad match will not prevent ads from being triggeered for horseplay or horsecamp or horseback. Negatives don't block character strings that are embedded in longer words.

If it were me, I'd add a few of those, just to block that traffic. You may not be seeing them in your search terms report if no one ever clicks on your ad after searching one of them, but that doesn't mean that some of that "unidentified" traffic doesn't include such variations.

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*