3.8K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Match types

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a list of random keywords close to 1250 and what is the best and time saving method to decide the match types for keywords and and also how do we do it ?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Match types

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Well, for a start, I would be a little concerned at the word "random" - they should be anything but random.

Organise them into tightly themed groups where possible for ad groups...

Then, in my own case, I tend to start with BMM match type and then adjust as the traffic comes in. If there is likely to be a lot of competition, I might prefer to use phrase or even exact in some cases (wouldn't be for all 1250) and, again, I would start the traffic and then look to see which were the better performers.

The alternative is to organise everything and then start the campaigns - the problem with this approach is that the market rarely behaves completely as we would expect and/or predict - and we also run the risk of blocking traffic which could prove to be very interesting for us.

In terms of how we do it... I generally download the keyword lists and manipulate them in Excel - it saves a lot of time.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Another way is to look at the traffic which these keywords can bring to your website. Based on the searches it is easy to decide upon the match types. You can use BMM for keywords which have low searches and exact and phrase match for keywords which can bring high traffic.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello,

I would advise you to use the phrase match or modified broad match for your keywords and attentively look into the "search terms" report in the details tab. By doing so you will be able to see what people are looking for and what are the keywords you may need to keep or insert into the negative list. If you engage and become very obsessed with broad match type keywords, you will likely get in trouble by spending more and more. In any case try to use the "search terms" report to see exactly what you need to keep or delete (add to the negative list) in terms of keywords.
The good of starting out with broad match is that you can get a good idea of what people are searching and with time you can add those keywords into your account. The drawback is that you will need to spend money to make this happen because it will not happen in a day or two, literally speaking. If you start with exact match it will likely limit your options since you do not know at the outset what people search (nevertheless if you have a good idea of what people are searching in terms of keywords you can start with exact match). The good side is that you do not need to make test and spend a lot before you understand all this. If the above 2 cases are not part of what you think may happen, you had better start with phrase or modified broad match type keywords and check the searches from time to time in the search terms report. This might be a generic explanation on how to start dealing with the issue you have encountered. I hope to be useful Smiley Happy

Regards,

A.S