2.7K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Match types within Ad Groups

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Our company has begun adwords campaigns and we are setting up adgroups. My question is: Is it redundant to have the same keyword in a group as broad match and as phrase match?

Example:

"Ammonia Gas Detection"

Ammonia Gas Detection 

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Match types within Ad Groups

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @Jodi D,

With a keyword set to phrase, it means that someone would have to search "ammonia gas detection" in that order but can have other words at the beginning or end of that keyword. For example "Who does ammonia gas detection near me" 

Broad match means that your, "ads may shown searches that include misspellings, synonyms, related searches, and other relevant variations." (here is more information). 

I would personally recommend using Broad Match Modifier (+ammonia +gas +detection) instead of broad. This way, "Ads may show on searches that contain the modified term (or close variations, but not synonyms), in any order." -- (this quote is from the same link above.)

This way people searching thins like, 'Detection of gas like ammonia and carbon monoxide".

Either way, having a phrase keyword and a broad keyword means that each keyword will bring in different types of traffic.

I hope this helps! 

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Nope.  Not redundant!  Feel free to test all of the match types against each other.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you for your response. Just to confirm, does that mean these words would not be competing against one another?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you for your help!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am also wondering with broad match would:

Ammonia Gas Detector and Ammonia Gas Detection and Ammonia Gas Detection System all be covered under one word?

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi Jodi D,

There are no short cuts here to success with AdWords. While Ammonia Gas Detector could trigger from search queries like "Ammonia Gas Detection" or "Ammonia Gas Detection System', you are probably better off creating separate ad groups for each of these queries. A search for "ammonia gas detection" should trigger an ad for "Ammonia Gas Detection". Similarly, a search for "Ammonia Gas Detection System" should trigger an ad for "Ammonia Gas Detection System". The only way to do that is with separate ad groups.

Yes, a broad math keyword Ammonia Gas Detection would be eligible for all those queries, but so would be a a large number of queries that are completely irrelevant to your offer. You will want to bid low on broad match or broad match modified, bid slightly higher for phrase match, and highest for exact match.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Having a background in process engineering (in my early days and an engineer), and having some industrial clients today, promoting B2B  solutions, I would say that industrial gases (Ammonia  among them as Nitrogen, Argon,  refrigerants etc...) are a niche business. Hence, I would recommend only broad match.  Even with broad match you'll get relatively   low number  impressions.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’