Match type question

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have the following conditions:

> 1 campaign

> 3 ad groups

> Each ad group has the same 5 keyword phrases

> 1 ad group is exact match, 1 is phrase match and 1 is broad match.

> The exact match versions are added as negatives to the phrase and broad

> The phrase match versions are added as negatives to the broad match

> They bid amount have been set so that the exact match bid > phrase match bid > broad match bid by some %.

Question: In this arrangement, if a user types in the exact match, I assume the exact match ad group would qualify for the search.

If the user types in the keywords as a phrase with other terms around them, then I assume the phrase match

would qualify for the search. If the keywords are typed in more loosely with similar terms, the broad match could qualify for the search

Should this set up prevent the phrase and broad ad groups from qualifying under all conditions? Or only when the user doesn't type in an exact match search.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Marston G
October 2015

Re: Match type question

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Marston,

Should this set up prevent the phrase and broad ad groups from qualifying under all conditions? Or only when the user doesn't type in an exact match search.

You have actually answered your own question perfectly with your previous paragraph Smiley Very Happy -

In this arrangement, if a user types in the exact match, I assume the exact match ad group would qualify for the search. If the user types in the keywords as a phrase with other terms around them, then I assume the phrase match would qualify for the search. If the keywords are typed in more loosely with similar terms, the broad match could qualify for the search.

The only thing I will say is that the optimisation and management side of things can become quite time consuming when working with this sort of structure, mostly when building out your keywords lists. But other than that, this set up is spot on! Smiley Happy

ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Marston,

The setup is proper and it would trigger only the ads from the respective ad groups. I am not sure what is your question, but the setup is right!

Regards
Rohit Khanna
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Marston G
October 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Marston,

You have actually answered your own question perfectly with your previous paragraph Smiley Very Happy -

In this arrangement, if a user types in the exact match, I assume the exact match ad group would qualify for the search. If the user types in the keywords as a phrase with other terms around them, then I assume the phrase match would qualify for the search. If the keywords are typed in more loosely with similar terms, the broad match could qualify for the search.

The only thing I will say is that the optimisation and management side of things can become quite time consuming when working with this sort of structure, mostly when building out your keywords lists. But other than that, this set up is spot on! Smiley Happy

ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you. I was assuming this was correct. Sometimes you can get someone who tries to talk you out of the right answer....so just wanted to make sure my old brain was thinking correctly.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks - yes I gather it can be time consuming. This was just one of those situations where I had someone who generally is a good resource argue against this saying that only exact match searches would qualify. I just needed to validate my own thought process. Appreciate.