Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Match type Understanding

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everyone,

I don't really understand with phrase,broad and exact matching. For example, what type of keywords that matched when a user key into Google search query la fiesta and lafiesta?

I tried la +fiesta but it would not match with Google search query when entered lafiesta.

How do i match lafiesta and la fiesta search query with one keyword.

Any suggestions? I hope my question is clear enough.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Match type Understanding

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Jerry,

For the Keyword matching, you can refer to this link for more information : https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6324?hl=en

In your case, may be you can using

1/ phrase match such as : "la fiesta" and : "lafiesta" or
2/ Broad match : lafiesta and la fiesta but you have to add negative keywords where required ( Check if all queries are relevant - use the Search terms report if have) to avoid keywords not relevant.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you Anna. So you are saying that it is impossible for me to add one keyword that matches la fiesta and lafiesta search query? And since you mention about negative keyword, Do i need to set negative keyword so my adwords ads will improve? because i previously i asked on Google community forum that my account is being reviewed for long time then it started moving again today but it stops right after couple of clicks. Please advice me. It is ok if you are unsure about it.

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
No matter what match type you use, Google will show variants (plurals, misspellings, space/no space) BUT at their discretion.

So while often one keyword will suffice, it won't always.

The answer is to use two keywords.

If you want the ad text to match the query, either use Dynamic Keyword Insertion, or have two ad groups with one keyword in each.

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

Hi Jerry,

While choosing the keywords and keyword match type you must be specific as per your marketing goal and ofcourse budget as well.

la fiesta is itself a broad term to target which will generate a lot of irrelevant traffic. So, choose the keywords with respect to business and add some prefix or post-fix to la fiesta to target relevant audience.

Now keyword match type:

I recommend you to try different match types for the same keyword and analyse which one performs better.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Rising Star, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Jerry,

You can follow @RobSkelton and @Archit said.

And for your information,

1/ Broad match : too general , you will have more clicks and impressions by using this type, that why you have to add negative match ensures that your ad doesn't show for any search that includes that term.

2/ Phrase match: allows your ad to show only for searches that include the exact phrase, or close variations of that exact phrase, with additional words before or after. ( recommended )

3/ Exact match : to specific, allows your ad to show only for searches that use that exact phrase, or close variations of that exact phrase, and no other words. You will have less clicks and impressions.

For my opinion, depend on your marketing goal , you can select which keyword match type is suitable for you.

And you can consider to use several keywords to run campaign for the first time, after 1 week, you can check back to see which one performs better.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you. Lets say for my situation with the spacing with broad match. What do you suggest?