Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Match Type and Ad Groups

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello friends,

Trying to under account and ad group structure. I read that we should set up ad group according to match types. This help in keeping internal fight of best keywords at bay to trigger ads.

But according to Google, only one keyword at a time would trigger at a time. So, when the best matched keyword (means it would have hgiher ad rank in the auction) is selected, where it the question of internal friction among keywords?

For example,

[buy novels online]

"buy novels online"

+buy +novels+ online

So, if we bid highest on exact match , slight lower on phrase and lowest on BMM, exact has the higher ad rank (QS, CTR and relevancy with the landing page) it would be chosen by default by Adwords. So why do we need to create separate kw according to match type and place negative match types accordingly?

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
January 2017

Match Type and Ad Groups

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

"So why do we need to create separate kw according to match type and place negative match types accordingly?" - This is common practice, because you can catch much more traffic by using different match types. As keywords gather performance data, you can then choose the best performing keywords. 

I would recommend you start using keywords with different match types, monitor their performance for 15-30 days, then choose the best performing ones based on their CTR, Avg. CPC, Avg. Position, and Conversion Rate. It helps to include the related keywords in their corresponding ad copy. 

Here is an article on choosing the right match types: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6337842

View solution in original post

Match Type and Ad Groups

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Im not sure I fully understand your question. But youd set it up by match type to allow yourself more control as you manage the data that comes in. You have more control over budgets, negatives, reporting, ad copy, etc. It certainly doesnt have to be done this way - but theres no doubt that it gives you more control. In some cases you could take it a step farther and create campaigns based on keywords and match types. 

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
January 2017

Match Type and Ad Groups

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

"So why do we need to create separate kw according to match type and place negative match types accordingly?" - This is common practice, because you can catch much more traffic by using different match types. As keywords gather performance data, you can then choose the best performing keywords. 

I would recommend you start using keywords with different match types, monitor their performance for 15-30 days, then choose the best performing ones based on their CTR, Avg. CPC, Avg. Position, and Conversion Rate. It helps to include the related keywords in their corresponding ad copy. 

Here is an article on choosing the right match types: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6337842

Match Type and Ad Groups

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks a lot.. Really helpful Smiley Happy Especially the suggestion about the 15-20 days test.