5.2K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Match Type Doubt

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am using adwords for the past 6 months. My doubt is if am using a same keyword with different all match types in a adgroup(broad,phrase,exact). let say for example :thank you,"thak you",[thank you] with equal quality scores(they given).but i was saw from adgroup search query report after a week for "thank you" phrase match.it show that keywords trigger [thank you] as exact. how is it possible??? can any one explain....

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Match Type Doubt

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey,

Are your bids for each match type different? AdWords tends to match the search query to the keyword with the highest ad rank wherein Ad Rank = Quality Score * Max CPC Bid.

In the ideal scenario, you should bid highest for your exact match keywords, a little less for phrase and least for broad to ensure that your exact keyword is triggered whenever possible. This is also called explicit bidding. 

In the case where your keyword is very important, you could also create a separate ad group specially for the exact keyword and put it as [exact negative] in the other ad group to ensure the best ad copy for it.

Hope this helps.

Heta
- Paid Search Marketing | www.convonix.com

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,
Thanks for your reply......
Even am no clear in this.....
Becoz B(0.30)& P(0.30) E(1.00) in dollars.Can you explain.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello corelead and welcome:

I would recommend to use the search box (and the advanced search)  of the community, to run a search on match types. You'll find many interesting and helpful and in-depth articles, discussing this topic from various user's aspects.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Corelead,

Apart from heta's great response have a look on below example i think it will help you to understand more...... 

Ad rank is depend upon two aspects one is Quality score and another is bid.

Ad rank : Qualit Score x Bid of particular keyword

For ex. 

AdvertisersKeywordQuality ScoreBidPointAd Rank
Axyz47283rd
Bxyz78562nd
Cxyz109901st

So as heta explained about explicit bidding if you're qality score and bid is higher for exact match as compared to other so than your ad will show for exact match. because you can't show your ad simultaneously for each match type for same keyword.

Hope this help....

Thanks & Regards

-Vicky

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Corelead,

I understand that you are using explicit bidding, i.e., bidding higher for your Exact keyword. Also, the quality scores for all 3 match types will be the same as Google assigns a quality score to the exact variation. There are times when Google matches the search query to a different match type variation even though it should ideally be triggered by the Exact variation.

To overcome this problem, your best option is to move the Exact match keyword to a new ad group and add it as negative exact to the current ad group.

Heta
- Paid Search Marketing | www.convonix.com
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by rashu (Google Employee)
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hello Corelead,

Quality score and cpc for each click is not fixed. It fluctuates every time a query runs. Everytime a search query runs keywords gets a revised quality score based on current cpc, adrank, etc.

We have seen more often that we pay less for high ad rank keyword. This could be one of the reason that your query is triggered by $0.30 phrase match keyword instead of $1 exact match keyword. May be at the time search query runs the Ad rank was better for the phrase match keyword. It may be coz of that your query is triggered by Phrase match instead of a Exact Match. Phrase match keyword can trigger exact match queries but exact match can not trigger phrase match queries. 

I also suggest you to go through a new update from Adwords on match types.

As Moshe already recommended you, please explore Adwords wiki portion of community.

Edit: As Heta said, idealy it should trigger by Exact Match.

Just a thought! Correct if wrong!

Thanks

Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Heta.....

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Vicky...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭