Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Managed Placements - Display Network

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All,

I have a colleague who is new to GDN Display (although she has experience in direct publisher display advertising.)

She is setting up her first campaigns in managed placements.She has chosen two general websites that sell everything imaginable from accessories, clothes, electrical appliances, to furniture etc. We sell furniture.

I suggested to my colleague that she choose the relevant furniture subdomains as the placements. This would be the norm, and as she knows the pages she wants to appear on, no need for keywords.

However she would like to test using keywords first in conjunction with using the main domain as the placement. So she has set up a campaign with one ad group for say Sofa, and is using 100 plus positive keywords and around 2000 negative keywords (to block the other categories on the site, electrical, clothing etc.)

This makes no sense to me. I would test subdomains first. If those didn't work (in the case that the website didn't accept subdomain bids), I would then use keywords. Even then, not 100 positive keywords and 2000 negative. It seems totally unmanageable.

My question is - has anyone ran an adgroup with as many positive and negative keywords for one ad group? Is it a worthwhile test? Regards,

S.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by rashu (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Managed Placements, Keywords and targeting on the new Display Network

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Sonie welcome to Adwords Community;

You are right.

The display network has changed significantly lately, and has adopted many characteristics of the search network. On the new display network tab you can now bid per specific keyword. For each web page a most prominent Keyword is selected for contextual targeting  (and Its bid is used).  So, in that sense, you are absolutely correct:  Too many KWs would not serve the campaign for best results. 

Moreover, even in the old days,  where all keywords worked  collectively as a theme to find  the best match between keywords and page content,  there was no need for that many KWs to achieve good contextual targeting (between KWs and page content).

Reed more about how KW targets a web page content in the new GND tab, in this excellent discussion on  content Targeting in the Display Network using keywords, and not themes?

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by rashu (Google Employee)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Sonie welcome to Adwords Community;

You are right.

The display network has changed significantly lately, and has adopted many characteristics of the search network. On the new display network tab you can now bid per specific keyword. For each web page a most prominent Keyword is selected for contextual targeting  (and Its bid is used).  So, in that sense, you are absolutely correct:  Too many KWs would not serve the campaign for best results. 

Moreover, even in the old days,  where all keywords worked  collectively as a theme to find  the best match between keywords and page content,  there was no need for that many KWs to achieve good contextual targeting (between KWs and page content).

Reed more about how KW targets a web page content in the new GND tab, in this excellent discussion on  content Targeting in the Display Network using keywords, and not themes?

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Moshe,

Thanks for your reply.  I've heard about bidding for just keywords on Display network, but I haven't come across much information, so thanks for that link. 

I'll have a look at it now and also pass it onto my colleague.

Regards,

S.