AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2K members online now
2K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Making bulk changes to ads with Adwords Editor 11.1

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

In the old editor there was a column for excel imports called "suggested changes." This column no longer seems to exist for 11.1, and I do not know how to make bulk changes to ads. When I try to change the status to "removed" or "paused" it would try to make new ads instead of editing the current ones that I exported.

In the older editor there were also advanced filtering options where I could enter multiple ad names into a box and it'd just show me those ads. I can paste in the ad names directly from an Excel column and it'd separate each line intelligently. I can't figure a way to do that with the new editor. I have no problem doing it with Excel, but I don't know how to tell editor 11.1 that I want to edit existing ads, not make new ones. 

Has anyone figured this out?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author JonathanY
September 2015

Re: Making bulk changes to ads with Adwords Editor 11.1

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee
Image ads require a bit of extra preparation, because Editor needs the actual image in order to figure out which ad the change should apply to. See my explanation here:

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Basics-for-New-Advertisers/How-to-modify-dest-URLs-of-existi...

This is not new in Editor 11, worked the same way in 10.6

View solution in original post

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee
"Suggested changes" column was populated on export, for your information only. It was always completely ignored on import. Whatever procedure you used in v10.6, it did not rely on this column, and should continue to work in v11.

What kind of ads are you importing? Are they image ads, by any chance?

You can search on multiple pieces of text in Editor 11.1, too. In search builder, you'll see the field selector, then the operator (e.g. "contains"), and then a multiline text box. Just paste your text there, one search term per line.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yes they are image ads--I am not trying to add new image ads though; I
am trying to change their status.

How do I do that in an import? It tries to add new blank images
instead of changing the status of the existing ones.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author JonathanY
September 2015

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee
Image ads require a bit of extra preparation, because Editor needs the actual image in order to figure out which ad the change should apply to. See my explanation here:

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Basics-for-New-Advertisers/How-to-modify-dest-URLs-of-existi...

This is not new in Editor 11, worked the same way in 10.6

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks, that explains a lot!