1.8K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Macros in Forum Profiles

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

While checking out my profile settings I saw this link for "Macros" on this forum - however I searched help and haven't found any mention of their function. Any help out there?

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Underdown
September 2015

Re: Macros in Forum Profiles

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Macros are, as far as I can see, snippets of texts which forum members use frequently. They can be saved under a descriptive title and then the poster can quickly insert them into posts. For instance, the following text is macro text:

This text would be inserted when I choose Macro 1, titled "Some random text".

Let's see if it can include HTML as well. This text should be bold.

As soon as I've defined my first macro, and I want to answer a post, I see a combo box next to the blue "Quote" button, and it allows me to choose my first macro, "Some random text".

So it's all for time economy. And it suppports HTML as well, which is overly cool Smiley Happy.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

A very good question, one I've been meaning to ask myself!  I'll escalate this to the team and we'll both see what replies we get!

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Underdown
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Macros are, as far as I can see, snippets of texts which forum members use frequently. They can be saved under a descriptive title and then the poster can quickly insert them into posts. For instance, the following text is macro text:

This text would be inserted when I choose Macro 1, titled "Some random text".

Let's see if it can include HTML as well. This text should be bold.

As soon as I've defined my first macro, and I want to answer a post, I see a combo box next to the blue "Quote" button, and it allows me to choose my first macro, "Some random text".

So it's all for time economy. And it suppports HTML as well, which is overly cool Smiley Happy.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Excellent, thanks Calin.  So we can define stock responses and call them with a trigger of some kind?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Yes, exactly. The trigger is the combo box to the right of "spell check" and "quote".

Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
# 6
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager

Calin cracked the code. Smiley Happy Thanks for explaining what macros are.

Zee

Zee
G+

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Dear all,

If you're using Firefox (43.0.4 in my case) selecting the macro title in the dropdown box will not work, as it will not automatically insert the macro.

Best regards,

Jan

Community Manager
# 8
Community Manager
This early 2012 thread has been closed to new replies, as it is now nearly four year old.

Should anyone have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread with a descriptive subject line, and post a clear, specific and detailed question.

This will improve the visibility of any follow-on questions as well as help other forum members to understand your question fully, and answer it in a useful and effective way.

Thanks!