5.7K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

MCC account structure

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

As part of a small marketing company, I am trying to get involved with Adwords and learn as much as I can.  Since we manage many clients we set up an MCC account so that we may monitor each client separately.  I can find plenty of information about setting up a regular AdWords account and campaigns, but there seems to be sparse information about the proper way to structure an MCC account.

From what I understand, you set up an MCC account.  Under that you set up or invite existing accounts for each of your customers.  Under each individual account is where you have campaigns and ad groups.  Am I even close to being correct?

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Spin C
September 2015

Re: MCC account structure

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Spin, as Tommy has said, you should always run client AdWords under their own Account.  Not just an Account specifically for them, but an Account for which they, the client, are the primary owner and Administrator.  You would then "collect" these Accounts under the MCC.  There are three key reasons for working this way:

1.  Each Campaign, each Ad Group and each Keyword within an Account can have a performance effect on each other component.  If you try to serve different clients from within the same Account, it's possible that the performance of one business might affect the performance of another, which obviously would be undesirable.

2.  Structure and complexity.  A "mature" AdWords Account for even a simple business could use many tens of Campaigns and complex businesses may require hundreds or thousands.  Simply organising and managing one business with this number of Campaigns requires planning and forethought, let alone if the Campaigns are actually mixed between various clients.

3.  Most importantly, it's the professional and proper way to run as a Manager.  When the client owns the Account they have complete control.  This means they can terminate your access at any time and retain their advertising Account intact.  Some agencies do try to run Accounts owned by the agency but I would never advise doing so.

Try not to read too much into the MCC; at a simple level it really is just a container - a method of grouping and accessing client Accounts.  As an Account manager you will spend most of your time actually working within the "normal" AdWords interface for one or another client and use the MCC only to choose which to work on or switch between them.  If I were you I'd be spending a lot more of my time learning about AdWords itself - the MCC is really the last thing you need to get to grips with.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Spin C, welcome to the Community.

You're about right; the MCC is really pretty straightforward so there's not a great deal of detaill to get involved in.  For a simple, small set of managed clients, the single MCC with your client Accounts beneath it is probably sufficient.  The only thing I'd suggest you might consider is using more than one MCC in a tiered structure to organise Accounts.  MCCs can themselves be "children" of another MCC - you request manager access in the same way you would with a client - so it's possible to have one "top-level" MCC for your company then any number of other MCCs beneath that you can use for organisational purposes.  For example, you might want to organise by region or by spend, or by their relationship with your company.

There are some specific tools that operate at the MCC level, for example, Manager Defined Spend, but I think I'd be right in saying that for most agencies an MCC is simply a convenient way to access, and group, client Accounts.

More about Manager Defined Spend

Jon

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Spin C,

Yes, good so far. This of your MCC as simply an umbrella account that will provide you a single access point to manage/access multiple AdWords account.

This worries me slightly: "Since we manage many clients we set up an MCC account so that we may monitor each client separately."

Does this mean that you have been managing multiple clients inside one account?  Each client should have their own AdWords account and then each AdWords account can be linked to an MCC for easy access.

You don't really need to structure an MCC in any way, all of the account structures are created in each individual account, the MCC is a collection of accounts.

Does that make sense? Any further questions for clarification are welcome.

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
PPC:
All we have done so far is set up an MCC account. The next step and how to structure the interior of the MCC is what I don't understand. I am new to the company and new to Adwords and I am trying to learn as much as possible.
The boss previously had a basic AW account and he had (3) ad campaigns for (2) clients and one for ourselves. He closed that account and transferred them over to the MCC. They are showing up as 'campaigns'. Some of the help pages mentioned that each client should have their own 'account' within our MCC account. Then campaigns and adgroups would be a subsets within each clients account under the MCC umbrella. It looks like we may need to set up each client with their own account within our MCC rather than the way we have it now. That is what I am trying to find out if that makes sense. I also read something about keeping an original file without any parameters so we have a 'Control Group' of sorts. Not sure how to do that either. They mention these things, but don't see a good explanation of how to do it. Thanks for any help and for the welcome.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Spin C
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Spin, as Tommy has said, you should always run client AdWords under their own Account.  Not just an Account specifically for them, but an Account for which they, the client, are the primary owner and Administrator.  You would then "collect" these Accounts under the MCC.  There are three key reasons for working this way:

1.  Each Campaign, each Ad Group and each Keyword within an Account can have a performance effect on each other component.  If you try to serve different clients from within the same Account, it's possible that the performance of one business might affect the performance of another, which obviously would be undesirable.

2.  Structure and complexity.  A "mature" AdWords Account for even a simple business could use many tens of Campaigns and complex businesses may require hundreds or thousands.  Simply organising and managing one business with this number of Campaigns requires planning and forethought, let alone if the Campaigns are actually mixed between various clients.

3.  Most importantly, it's the professional and proper way to run as a Manager.  When the client owns the Account they have complete control.  This means they can terminate your access at any time and retain their advertising Account intact.  Some agencies do try to run Accounts owned by the agency but I would never advise doing so.

Try not to read too much into the MCC; at a simple level it really is just a container - a method of grouping and accessing client Accounts.  As an Account manager you will spend most of your time actually working within the "normal" AdWords interface for one or another client and use the MCC only to choose which to work on or switch between them.  If I were you I'd be spending a lot more of my time learning about AdWords itself - the MCC is really the last thing you need to get to grips with.

Jon

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you all for your responses. I think your answers got me where I needed to be.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Jon

As an online marketeer I want to set up several sub MCCs to structure our Master MCC for organisational purposes. What's the best way to do this? Do I have to create a whole new MCC for each sub MCC that I want to link to the Master MCC? If that's the case I will have to create a unique mail address for each sub MCC, right?

Thanks!

Cheers,
Eline

Community Manager
# 8
Community Manager
This two year old thread has been closed to new replies.

If anyone has a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread with a descriptive subject line and post a clear, specific and detailed question or comment.

This will help other forum members to both see and understand your question fully, and answer it in a useful and effective way.

Thanks!