AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Low search volume keywords and locations

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Can someone please explain this to me?

I live in a small, but thriving town. I've set up a campaign with various ads with targeted keywords in. My ads won't show due to "Low search volume" - why is this? I mean really, I don't care if there are only 10 searches a year for my keywords (I'm sure there are more than that) I still want them to show.

Is there anything I can do? I want to be specific about the location as I know my local market.

Specific examples are "web design [townname]", "graphic designers [townname]".

Any pointers?

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Low search volume keywords and locations

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Eddie, welcome to the Community.

Although "Low Search Volume" does mean your Ads won't show for those Keywords now it may be that they'll show at some other time and Google actually recommends leaving these Keywords in place.

If you are a web designer/graphic designer though, why focus only on local traffic?  Hardly any of my business is even in the UK, let alone my town.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

HI Eddie R,

Welcome to the forum.

Keywords marked as "Low search volume" are associated with very little search traffic on Google, which indicates that they're not very relevant to most customers' searches. For this reason, Google temporarily makes these keyword inactive so that they don't trigger your ads.

Once  the number of search queries for these keywords increases even a small amount, they'll be reactivated and will start triggering your ads to show again.Google checks and updates this status once per week.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Eddie, welcome to the Community.

Although "Low Search Volume" does mean your Ads won't show for those Keywords now it may be that they'll show at some other time and Google actually recommends leaving these Keywords in place.

If you are a web designer/graphic designer though, why focus only on local traffic?  Hardly any of my business is even in the UK, let alone my town.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Eddie,

I also wonder why you would target a local area only. But I'm going to suggest one thing. Use geo-targeting instead, and leave the town name out of the keywords.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords