AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.9K members online now
3.9K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Low ad rank, please give specific advice

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Tried to attach picture, this stupid thing won't let me.  See link at the end.  I am sure I just don't know what I'm doing, but I don't have time to get good at this.  I've been working on advertising for a couple hours every day since I activated an account, and I'm getting nowhere.  

I need specific advice on what would be better keywords or whatever I need to do to get ads to actually show.  I'm not talking about clicks right now, just so that google will show the freakin ad and give it a chance.  It's just a text ad for an ebook.  It's not rocket science.  Thanks.  

I had it limited to two dollars per click, then 1 dollar, then 50 cents, then 30.  Because I can't afford to pay a dollar per click, and was told it would go down.  It didn't.  Can blame my ad if you want, but I doubt it can get much more appealing.  I have much worse ads showing on a second campaign with a decent CTR and CPC, but that's on display network, specific sites.  Search network is the one that is giving me problems.  Here is my keyword list.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1qUPbtyUz5EVnNGMXlFQllhT1k

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Low ad rank, please give specific advice

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Adam,

Based on what you have shared the issue is probably not theoretical; I mean chances are it's not something you need to learn. What you have created on your own seems okay, most probably your (keyword) competitors simply outbid you. What I'd try doing in your situation is going for long tail keywords. If you click on the Keywords tab, and then on +KEYWORDS, the system will provide you with ideas. If you have accrued some stats earlier , you may want to find the best Search Terms and promote them to keywords.

Best,
Lakatos

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
My two-word keywords seem to have low search volume, maybe that's why the bid price is too high. Maybe I'm wrong, but with 500 monthly searches of a long keyword, I don't think I can expect much in the way of sales. Am I supposed to have 100 such phrases?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Switching to longer keywords will likely not enhance the available search volume, however, your bidding may become more competitive which should be your No 1 priority. And the more of them you can identify the better.

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star
Hi Adam,

Judging by the screenshot you have attached here. I have a few pointers for you:

1. The system is trying to tell you that your ad rank is too low because your Quality score is low (which is not the case) and your bid is low. Out of the two, seeing as your QS is at 6, your bid of 0.30 is the problem here
2. I am guessing you are not using exact match type keywords. Also, Phrase match type is not used too much in your campaigns. Since you do not want to spends close to $1 on each click, I would advise you start using Exact and Phrase as soon as possible. When you do add these to your targeting, assign the highest bid to the exact keywords, followed by Phrase and then Broad or BMM. This will ensure that your ads show up for the most relevant of keyword themes and the traffic is also relevant.
3. Your use of Phrase match type is wrong here. Consider the keyword 'kindle "urban fantasy" '. You have combined Broad and Phrase matchtypes here and this is not how you use either of the match types. A phrase keyword has all the words within the quotes where as a Broad keywords has no braces or quotes. If you wish that a certain keyword or set of keywords should be present in the search query used by your TG, then try using BMM match type. In the same keyword example, you should do it this way: kindle +urban +fantasy. I am assuming of course that urban fantasy is the set of keywords that is more important to you.
4. Lastly, you do not need to set the same bids for all the targeted keywords, like I mentioned earlier, you can set bids basis the match types. Another way to do this is look at the themes that are most important to you and then assign higher bids to those themes (you also need to compliment that with higher budgets, but that is dependent on how you have structured your campaigns).

Do give these points a shot and see if they change things for the better in your campaigns.

Hope this Helps!
Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"