Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Low ad rank but getting most clicks

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, Im new to Adwords.

One of my keywords has a message beside it that says "Rarely shown due to low quality score".  When I do the diagnosis it says

"Your keyword isn't triggering ads to appear on Google right now due to a low Ad Rank. Ads are ranked based on your bid and Quality Score."

I understand this BUT this keyword seems to be getting me the most clicks and impressions.  20 clicks and 1800 inpressions in 3 days....how is it getting clicks if the ad is not showing for that keyword?? 

So confused how I am spending money because of this keyword.

Thanks to anyone that can help me understand this

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mama B
September 2015

Re: Low ad rank but getting most clicks

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

Use the button "Segment" and choose "Network..." to find out if those clicks come from google or the "Search partners" or the Display Network if your campaign is "Search +Display select". Also from the button "Segment" next choose "Device" to see if those clicks come from the mobile segment. 

It could be that your ad rank is low for desktops for google.com but it is high enough for mobiles or for search partners.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Mama B,

When a Keyword is set to that status it will generate impressions and clicks under certain curcumstances. If you look at the wording, the emphasis is on "Rarely".

Your KW has a low ad rank and thus during highly competitive times will not be shown as other advertisers have much higher QS KW and thus are getting preference.

However, when those advertisers are not bidding for that KW and the competition is low, then you will be able to show as even though your ad rank is low you are one of the only advertisers bidding at that time and thus you will acquire a position on the SERP.

When you do your diagnosis, this is obviously during a high competition time and thus you/are not eligible at that time. Emphasis in this case is on "right now".

That being all said, if this is one of your high traffic genretors I would highly suggest making it a priority to increase its ad rank, as it is costing you much more money than it should be.

See how low ad rank costs you extra money here:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1752122?hl=en

learn about improving ad quality here:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6080602?rd=1

Pay particular attention to the how to improve CTR section at the bottom

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

Use the button "Segment" and choose "Network..." to find out if those clicks come from google or the "Search partners" or the Display Network if your campaign is "Search +Display select". Also from the button "Segment" next choose "Device" to see if those clicks come from the mobile segment. 

It could be that your ad rank is low for desktops for google.com but it is high enough for mobiles or for search partners.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Mama B,

When a Keyword is set to that status it will generate impressions and clicks under certain curcumstances. If you look at the wording, the emphasis is on "Rarely".

Your KW has a low ad rank and thus during highly competitive times will not be shown as other advertisers have much higher QS KW and thus are getting preference.

However, when those advertisers are not bidding for that KW and the competition is low, then you will be able to show as even though your ad rank is low you are one of the only advertisers bidding at that time and thus you will acquire a position on the SERP.

When you do your diagnosis, this is obviously during a high competition time and thus you/are not eligible at that time. Emphasis in this case is on "right now".

That being all said, if this is one of your high traffic genretors I would highly suggest making it a priority to increase its ad rank, as it is costing you much more money than it should be.

See how low ad rank costs you extra money here:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1752122?hl=en

learn about improving ad quality here:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6080602?rd=1

Pay particular attention to the how to improve CTR section at the bottom

Hope this helps

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you both so much! I will look into itSmiley Happy