AdWords
2.8K members online now
2.8K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Low Search Volume for exact phrase, but same phrase autocompletes in google searches?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have some very specific keyphrases which might have low search volume, but could in fact be worth a lot of income to me - the problem is getting them to display.

What I don't really understand is, I thought "low search volume" meant so few people searched for the term that google doesn't have any data on it?

But typing the first couple of words into a google search results in the exact phrase I am targeting being autocompleted high on the list - so somebody somewhere must be searching for it? I thought Google's autocomplete was based on real searches - so it autocompletes this search because people must have been searching for it, but in Adwords it is a low volume phrase because next to nobody searches for it?

What am I missing here?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Low Search Volume for exact phrase, but same phrase autocompletes in google searches?

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hey RobMCR, 

That's a good question.

Autocomplete will be using data from a long-ish period of time to try and guess what search query might be the most appropriate for you. However, the Low Search Volume messaging in your AdWords account is referencing what is happening right now in terms of how people are searching for these terms on Google and whether there is enough traffic there to serve your ads next to these search terms. This is why you could still be using autocomplete suggestions as well as Low Search Volume in your AdWords account.  

Hope this helps!

A. 

Re: Low Search Volume for exact phrase, but same phrase autocompletes in google searches?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you for the reply.

Ironically, the phrase I was referring to has now gone from being "low search volume" for weeks, to my only keyword with a quality score of 10/10 and is triggering ads....  Which I would have expected as the search is for a relatively common service in the centre of a major conurbation of several million people, and not some obscure search term in a low population district.

I will see what it does next with interest and see what I can learn!

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi RobMCR,

You posted:

"What I don't really understand is, I thought "low search volume" meant so few people searched for the term that google doesn't have any data on it?"

That is not entirely correct. "Low search volume" means more that there are so few searches for the term that clicks can be tied back to an individual user, and that they consider a privacy issue.

I am glad to hear the keyword has begun gathering impressions. How are your conversions?

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords