Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Looking to Exercise my New Adwords Skills

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Adwords community, 

I have just received my Adwords certification which I am very excited about. I would like to start offering my services to local businesses within my area but I have no idea how to approach receiving clients.

Is there any advice any one wouldn't mind sharing? Anything on receiving my first client would be great.

Thanks for taking the time to read.

Stefan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Stefang G
February 2016

Re: Looking to Exercise my New Adwords Skills

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Keep in mind that the certification is an awareness tool. It makes you aware of features, but does not make you a skilled expert. You can only achieved skilled status after practicing for years. However, you can't get there without practicing.

The first thing you need to do is find an account to manage so you can say you've managed an account. Any account. Even if it is a limited account that you won't make any money off of.  I am linking to you a perfect guide to your first Google Grant account: http://www.paidinsights.com/first-adwords-client-guide/

I volunteered at a small wild bird rescue in early college, and after reading this guide I was able to email the owner and tell her that I could easily get her a grant for $10,000 a month. Of course she was on board and she filled out the grant application and now I am managing that on the weekends.

This is a great way to start to get experience into the whole process and soon you can reach out to small businesses in your area.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Stefang G
February 2016

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Keep in mind that the certification is an awareness tool. It makes you aware of features, but does not make you a skilled expert. You can only achieved skilled status after practicing for years. However, you can't get there without practicing.

The first thing you need to do is find an account to manage so you can say you've managed an account. Any account. Even if it is a limited account that you won't make any money off of.  I am linking to you a perfect guide to your first Google Grant account: http://www.paidinsights.com/first-adwords-client-guide/

I volunteered at a small wild bird rescue in early college, and after reading this guide I was able to email the owner and tell her that I could easily get her a grant for $10,000 a month. Of course she was on board and she filled out the grant application and now I am managing that on the weekends.

This is a great way to start to get experience into the whole process and soon you can reach out to small businesses in your area.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you Chris!

I'm checking out the link now. Your input has been very helpful!

All the best

Stefan

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner
Thanks for sharing my post - glad it worked out for you Chris. It's definitely opened a lot of doors along the way as well (check out the comments section of the post for a few ideas). Also, I'm glad you at least took the certifications before wanting to manage an account - it's a good first step and I recommend passing all 6 plus the Analytics test.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Your article really simplified the process, so thanks to you!