Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Lookback Days vs. Membership Duration in Remarketing

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there, 

I'm creating some remarketing audiences to use in Adwords.

My overall goal is: 

1) Create audience with all people who made a purchase

2) Create an audience of people who have made a purchase wihtin the past 50 days

3) Exclude people who have made a purchase within the past 50 days from the overall audience of purchasers created in step 1

3) Serve ads to this audience of people who made a purchase more than 50 days ago.

I see two options to set a timeframe in the audience creation process (image below) one is lookback window and the other is audience duration. How can I use these parameters to achieve my goal?

Thanks to all who can help!

Screen Shot 2016-05-17 at 3.39.44 PM.png

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ed R
May 2016

Re: Lookback Days vs. Membership Duration in Remarketing

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi,

Please find below the URL for Remarket with segments help section. Please go to "8. Click Next step to open the Define Audience controls." and you will know the definition of these 2 options.

Remarket with segments - https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/6015314?hl=en

Thanks,
Anand

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Anand! I suppose my follow-up question would by, why would I ever set a long lookback window? If my membership duration is 30 days then my ads will be served to someone 30 days after they take the target action, which is what I want. So why have the option to stretch a look back window.

Thanks for your patience here.

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Ed R

Please read below about Lookback Window:-

Lookback days (user-scoped segments only): Set a lookback window of 7, 14, or 30 days to specify a time frame for evaluating the behavior that qualifies users for your audience. For example, if your filters include users from Central Asia, and Transactions Greater than 2, and you set the look-back window to 14 days, then any user from Central Asia whose cumulative transactions exceed 2 during the last 14 days is added to the audience.

Example: Expanding lookback windows

You have a placement with an impression lookback window of 5 days. Six days ago, a user saw one of your ads. Today that user visited your Floodlight-enabled webpage. A Floodlight impression is recorded, but it's not a conversion because it's outside the lookback window.
Subsequently, you change the impression lookback window to 10 days. This change has no effect on the Floodlight impression that already occurred. The next day, however, the user returns to your webpage, triggering another Floodlight impression. Seven days have now passed since the user saw your ad. Since the impression lookback window is now 10 days, a conversion is counted.

Example: Shortening lookback windows

You have a placement with a lookback window of 10 days for impressions. Four days ago, a user saw your ad. Today that user visited your Floodlight-enabled webpage, and a conversion was counted.
Subsequently, you change the impression lookback window to 3 days. This change has no effect on the conversion that was already counted. However, when the user returns to your webpage the next day, no conversion is counted because the lookback window is now shorter.

I hope this will help you.

Thanks,
Anand

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
This is great very clear thanks!