AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5K members online now
5K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Longer Tail Keywords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

If I were to run a campaign with a keyword phrase match "homes for sale in anytown usa" and then another that is longer and more targeted such as "homes for sale in anytown usa 12345" or "homes for sale in anytown usa 4 bedrooms" if "homes for sale in anytown usa 12345" is searched will the first add also show up or will this ad show up instead?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Daniel M
September 2015

Re: Longer Tail Keywords

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner

@Daniel M wrote:

If I were to run a campaign with a keyword phrase match "homes for sale in anytown usa" and then another that is longer and more targeted such as "homes for sale in anytown usa 12345" or "homes for sale in anytown usa 4 bedrooms" if "homes for sale in anytown usa 12345" is searched will the first add also show up or will this ad show up instead?

The  keyword that will target the ad will be the keyword with the better Ad Rank, Quality Score and Bid amount.

If these are your Keywords:

"homes for sale in anytown usa"     ( Keyword 1)

"homes for sale in anytown usa 12345"  (Keyword 2)

"homes for sale in anytown usa 4 bedrooms" (keyword 3)

and the end user searched for

homes for sale in anytown usa 12345

keywords 1 or 2 would fight each other for the spot because the trigger keywords are in the Phrase match

The winner will be determined by Ad Rank ( which is a component of CTR, Quality Score, Extensions etc) so ei

Keyword 3 -"homes for sale in anytown usa 4 bedrooms"  would not be in contention for the search query based upon the additional required phrase match element of "4 bedrooms"

What you will need to consider is if the Longer "Phrase Match " terms will be in consideration, provide a good quality score as well as a click through.   The shorter "Phrase Match" might get you more impressions, better CTR and Quality Scores.

However that is something you should test on your own account with your own parameters and settings.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Daniel,

Firstly, only one Ad will show for any one search term from any one domain, so it's all about which Keyword Google chooses to match against the search term.

AdWords will usually match against the Keyword that most closely matches the search term.  So in your example it would match against the longer term.  However, AdWords also considers Ad Rank so if another potential match returns a higher Ad Rank - it has a higher CPC and/or better Quality Score - that could trump the closer matching term.

It's reasonably complex, and this help page does a much better job of explaining and detailing the process:

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2756257?hl=en

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Daniel M
September 2015

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner

@Daniel M wrote:

The  keyword that will target the ad will be the keyword with the better Ad Rank, Quality Score and Bid amount.

If these are your Keywords:

"homes for sale in anytown usa 4 bedrooms" (keyword 3)

and the end user searched for

homes for sale in anytown usa 12345

keywords 1 or 2 would fight each other for the spot because the trigger keywords are in the Phrase match

The winner will be determined by Ad Rank ( which is a component of CTR, Quality Score, Extensions etc) so ei

Keyword 3 -"homes for sale in anytown usa 4 bedrooms"  would not be in contention for the search query based upon the additional required phrase match element of "4 bedrooms"

What you will need to consider is if the Longer "Phrase Match " terms will be in consideration, provide a good quality score as well as a click through.   The shorter "Phrase Match" might get you more impressions, better CTR and Quality Scores.

However that is something you should test on your own account with your own parameters and settings.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks that helps a lot!

My shorter tail keyword term and longer tail keyword term would direct to different URLs.

To avoid my shorter tail ad showing up would you recommend switching to exact phrase or adding negative keywords? Or another solution?

Badged Google Partner
# 5
Badged Google Partner

@Daniel M wrote:
Thanks that helps a lot!

My shorter tail keyword term and longer tail keyword term would direct to different URLs.

To avoid my shorter tail ad showing up would you recommend switching to exact phrase or adding negative keywords? Or another solution?

One strategy would be to use the Negative keyword match to differentiate between the ad groups and the different URL ads.   I would start with Ad groups so that the URL Landing pages are in one group and the other Landing page URLs in another.   Use a negative keyword as you mention to force the query to the correct  Ad in the ad group.

By design this should work, but as always test and take into account the set-ups and factors of your campaign.