6.5K members online now
6.5K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all, it's my 4th time trying to post this question, i hope this one will reach (I haven't been able to post it properly i guess)

As a part-time worker I've got a limited access on my Adwords account. I'm using the latest AdWords Editor, and what I want to do is to make the changes my colleagues want via Editor, and since I have a limited account, after making changes, I want to log out so that people in the office with full access accounts would log in to "post" the changes. 

The problems we are facing are;

-When I try to post, naturally I get the "permission" error. But after that point, we could not find any log out button around the post section,

-When I close the program & re-open again, username part "xxx@yyy.com" is "Unchangable", so we cannot log in from a different account.

How can we fix this?

Thank you.

2 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Theresa_Zook (Top Contributor Alumni)
September 2015

Re: Log in / Log out Problem / Adwords Editor

Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee

On Open Account dialog, do Add Account, and enter the login and password that has full access. Editor will realize that it already has this account (as determined by 10-digit account ID) downloaded, and won't download it again, but will simply link the new set of credentials to the existing data.

At this point, you would have two entries in Open Account dialog, both pointing to the same account data but with different login emails. You can switch between them via Open Account, or via a drop-down above the account tree in the main window. Both point to the same data, so you can make changes through either of them and they both will see these changes.

Before uploading, choose the entry with the correct login email, the one that has sufficient privileges. Editor will prompt you for password that goes with this email.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Can A
September 2015

Google Employee
# 6
Google Employee

Do you, at this point, have two entries in Open Account dialog, both referring to the same account (the same 10-digit number in Customer ID column)? If you don't, then click Add Account button and add the missing login - presumably, the one with full access.

If you do have two entries, select the one that shows full access login email, and click Open Selected Account. The title of the main window shows the login email associated with the currently selected entry (it should say something like "AdWords Editor - xxx@yyy.com"). If you now click Post Changes (or Get Recent Changes, or anything else that requires network access), the login prompt should show the same email, and ask you for a password that goes with it.

Closing and reopening the application won't help at all. Editor doesn't choose which login to use based on your prior activity; the login email is stored with the currently selected account entry.

Come to think of it, why do you even need an entry with your limited-access email? A single entry with full-access email should be sufficient, and having just one entry should help eliminate confusion. You don't actually need to know the corresponding password in order to make changes locally in Editor - you are only prompted for password when you attempt to download or upload, which apparently you can't do with your limited-access email anyway.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi,

I want to try and grasp what's happening here and what the goals are.

Here is what I can tell so far.

1.  You have some sort of restricted access to an AdWords account?

2.  You're making offline changes via AW Editor

3.  You need to get these changes to someone in the office that have editing permissions?

Can you confirm this is correct and/or correct me here.  We can then see what we can do to help.

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Theresa_Zook (Top Contributor Alumni)
September 2015

Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee

On Open Account dialog, do Add Account, and enter the login and password that has full access. Editor will realize that it already has this account (as determined by 10-digit account ID) downloaded, and won't download it again, but will simply link the new set of credentials to the existing data.

At this point, you would have two entries in Open Account dialog, both pointing to the same account data but with different login emails. You can switch between them via Open Account, or via a drop-down above the account tree in the main window. Both point to the same data, so you can make changes through either of them and they both will see these changes.

Before uploading, choose the entry with the correct login email, the one that has sufficient privileges. Editor will prompt you for password that goes with this email.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Tom, yes you are correct. 

You can think like this;

1- There is no user switch option at posting.

2- So after making changes, i quit the program, re-enter, and afterwards I click post changes (It remembers changes even after quit & re-enter as you know)

3- The blackened part (I have to hide for security) is unchangable, it remembers my username (even though i did not choose such an option) and appears automatically as unchangable.

adwords ss.png

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Igor,

I've already tried the Open Account suggestion of yours, but even after logging in with the sufficient privileged username, when i click post changes, it's opening the username-password screen with my username (the insufficient one) and it's unchangable again.

Drop-down above the account tree window gives the same result either sadly.

Simply, it does not remember the 2nd username even after we log in with it, it does not give me chance to choose the 2nd one.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Can A
September 2015

Google Employee
# 6
Google Employee

Do you, at this point, have two entries in Open Account dialog, both referring to the same account (the same 10-digit number in Customer ID column)? If you don't, then click Add Account button and add the missing login - presumably, the one with full access.

If you do have two entries, select the one that shows full access login email, and click Open Selected Account. The title of the main window shows the login email associated with the currently selected entry (it should say something like "AdWords Editor - xxx@yyy.com"). If you now click Post Changes (or Get Recent Changes, or anything else that requires network access), the login prompt should show the same email, and ask you for a password that goes with it.

Closing and reopening the application won't help at all. Editor doesn't choose which login to use based on your prior activity; the login email is stored with the currently selected account entry.

Come to think of it, why do you even need an entry with your limited-access email? A single entry with full-access email should be sufficient, and having just one entry should help eliminate confusion. You don't actually need to know the corresponding password in order to make changes locally in Editor - you are only prompted for password when you attempt to download or upload, which apparently you can't do with your limited-access email anyway.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you for your help, we will consider the things you said, at worst case I'll get a full access permission I think.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I have a variation of this problem and the proposed solution does not work for me. I have an obsolete login attached to certain accounts. After I upgraded to 10.6, I tried to add an account. (1) I clicked file > Open account. (2) in the drop-down I clicked the file I wanted to add. (3) I clicked Add Account. (4) I clicked Switch User. (5) I entered my current, valid account and password, and Remember this password. (6) I was shown a list box of the accounts saying "Choose a client account", so I clicked on the account I wanted to add back to my list of accounts and then clicked on Open.
Adwords Editor then showed me a window that had my obsolete id, grayed out and not accessible, and presumably my old password. What did I do wrong? How can I get my account?

Google Employee
# 9
Google Employee
Yes, that trick doesn't work with MCC - Editor can't have two entries for the same account, one direct and one through MCC (or both through different MCCs).

Your only option at this point is to remove the account entirely, then add it back via your MCC login. You will lose any unposted changes when you remove (export an archive first if you want to keep them), and you will re-download when you add it back (then you can import the archive to restore unposted changes).