AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.6K members online now
3.6K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Locations Import showing up with warnings

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I am importing a CSV file with campaigns and location targeting entities into Adwords Editor. I've used location targeting of the Postal Code type to target different US Zip Codes

After I import the CSV, I receive a bunch of warnings (not errors) even though the Location and ID both import correctly. (The "Type" doesn't seem to be importing) I'm having to manually click on the Edit/Find location button in the Locations tab to Find and choose my location.

I'm sure there has to be a more efficient way to do this. How can I resolve this issue?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author I Fan L
September 2015

Re: Locations Import showing up with warnings

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee
I believe you are talking about this warning: "The location is unresolved. Check changes or post changes to resolve the location." This is normal and expected. You don't need to resolve them one by one - you can use Check Locations button at the top of Locations tab (to check just the locations), or Check Changes button at the top of the main window (to check all your changes, including the locations). Or, if you are feeling lucky, go straight to Post Changes: location resolution happens as part of that process, too.

Editor doesn't actually keep a list of all valid locations (there are too many of them, and they change too often). It will accept any number for ID and any text for location name, and take you at your word; but it will put up this warning, to let you know that the location you entered has not been verified with the server.

When you perform any of the aforementioned operations (Edit/Find Location, Check Locations, Check Changes, Post Changes), Editor consults with the server and asks "is this a valid ID, and if so, what's the full location name for it?", or "I was given this piece of text; which location do you think it refers to?" Once the server resolves the location successfully, the warning is removed: the location is now known to be valid.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author I Fan L
September 2015

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee
I believe you are talking about this warning: "The location is unresolved. Check changes or post changes to resolve the location." This is normal and expected. You don't need to resolve them one by one - you can use Check Locations button at the top of Locations tab (to check just the locations), or Check Changes button at the top of the main window (to check all your changes, including the locations). Or, if you are feeling lucky, go straight to Post Changes: location resolution happens as part of that process, too.

Editor doesn't actually keep a list of all valid locations (there are too many of them, and they change too often). It will accept any number for ID and any text for location name, and take you at your word; but it will put up this warning, to let you know that the location you entered has not been verified with the server.

When you perform any of the aforementioned operations (Edit/Find Location, Check Locations, Check Changes, Post Changes), Editor consults with the server and asks "is this a valid ID, and if so, what's the full location name for it?", or "I was given this piece of text; which location do you think it refers to?" Once the server resolves the location successfully, the warning is removed: the location is now known to be valid.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you for your help! It's just as you said, and the server resolved the location without any issues when I posted changes to the account. Thanks!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have this also. The type should be "City" but shows as "Unknown". I tried those updates you mentioned but they all (1000 of them) show "Unknown" except for about 10 of the 1000 I did manually.

You said: (didn't work though)

"When you perform any of the aforementioned operations (Edit/Find Location, Check Locations, Check Changes, Post Changes),

Google Employee
# 5
Google Employee

In what way did it not work? What happens when you run Check Locations or Check Changes? Can you show a screenshot demonstrating a few of the problematic city names and the warning?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I deleted all information out and just kept the city ideas and then uploaded and it seemed to populate them correctly. Best not to fill all the fields in or it gets confused. I one by one deleted the fields and finally through the powers of deduction ended up with just the City ID which worked.

Cheers