AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Location targeting

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everybody,

I am new in Google Adwords and I got a question regarding location targeting. 

I have learnt that Adwords considers a place of interest both :

• users using a certain domain 
  • users typing a location in Google search

My question is: Is it possible to have only one of the other? Or saying maybe, to give the typed location an higher relevance than the domain location?

Infect, if a user is thinking of a location ( X) and type it in a google domain (Y) , it means he/she is looking for a service/product in that location (X) and therefore the domain (Y) should not be relevant. In this case only ads with place of interest  target  (X) should  be shown and not ads with with place of interest target  (Y).

But if I understood correctly in this case both ads with place of interest target ( X)and (Y )could be shown. Is this correct?

While if a user does not type any location but use a domain (Y), only the ads with place of interest target (Y) will be shown.

I hope I was clear enogh to get an answer. Smiley Happy

As said , I am new in Adwords but I already love it.

Thanks

Best

Semhar

2 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Semhar Y
September 2015

Re: Location targeting

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,

Uses a country-specific domain, such as google.fr (France), without including another location in the search. This will indicate the country specified in the domain (France, in this instance) as a location that the person may be interested in.

This means that if someone used Google France and typed "California Taxi", Google show the ads from the California location related to this keyword and also the ads form France location, only if some advertiser is targeting the keyword "California Taxi" in France.

Please refer to the link Moshe has mentioned for more info about advanced location options.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

@KathleenG ; Thanks for "fixing" the thread;

@Semhar Y; Google is very careful and precise in its language. Pay attention to the wording:

>>>" ..... We'll still identify Los Angeles as a location she's interested in. Since the search was performed on google.fr, it's also possible...."

So, LA - is certain   (in terms of location targeting), while Paris is: "maybe", under some conditions....

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello there;

I am not sure fully understood your question, however, instead of "guessing" the  users' intent, Adwords allows you (in the  advanced location targeting setting) to decide whether you want to target users  physically  in your targeting area, or to target users outside the area searching about  the product / service in the targeted area.

In other words: let Google decide whether the user is in the targeted area and looking for the service OR outside  the targeted area and searching about the service, You set which users you wish to target.

Read more : Advenced location options

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,

Uses a country-specific domain, such as google.fr (France), without including another location in the search. This will indicate the country specified in the domain (France, in this instance) as a location that the person may be interested in.

This means that if someone used Google France and typed "California Taxi", Google show the ads from the California location related to this keyword and also the ads form France location, only if some advertiser is targeting the keyword "California Taxi" in France.

Please refer to the link Moshe has mentioned for more info about advanced location options.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Dear MosheTLV,

Thank you for your reply. However  it really doesn't help me to answer my question/doubt.

I try to explain better myself.

"Uses a country-specific domain, such as google.fr (France), without including another location in the search. This will indicate the country specified in the domain (France, in this instance) as a location that the person may be interested in". Ok and this makes sense to me.

However what happen if users use a country-specific domain, such as google.fr (France),  including another location in the search different from the domain ( Italy)?

If I understood correctly in this case the add will be shown both in Italy ( for advertisers who target Italy as place of interest) and in France ( for advertisers who target France as place of interest). Correct?

But as I said, according to me, it should be shown only Italy since it is clearly the "real" place of interest for the user-infect it search for it.

As a matter of fact I personally think that country-specific domain should be considered more as a physical potential place than a place of interest. 

And also I have another question, is it possible to choose two different target locations one as physical location and one for place of interest in the same campaign. Or do you have to create two different campaigns for that?

Thank you

Best,

Semhar

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hello again;

>>"...If I understood correctly in this case the add will be shown both in Italy ( for advertisers who target Italy as place of interest) and in France ( for advertisers who target France as place of interest). Correct? - Nope- There is a hierarchy in determining the "location by intent"  the user refers to. A geographic location name in the query is higher in the hierarchy than a Google's domain. So, in your example, the user will be shown ads in Italy.

A different question would be, in what language he might see the ads - this (in some uncommon cases) could be in French. (But language targeting is a "different ball game")

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

That is what I also think it should be. However I haven't find anywhere your explanation regarding hierarchy, can please you send me the link?  Instead I read this passage in in Adwords Help:

"Location of interest isn't restricted to the country the user is located in, or the Google search domain the user is searching on -- for example, if someone in Paris, France searches for Los Angeles taxi on google.fr (France), we'll still identify Los Angeles as a location she's interested in. Since the search was performed on google.fr, it's also possible that she'll see ads for the keyword Los Angeles taxi that are targeted to France."

which made me wonder..

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

@Semhar Y  It seems that the system filters your posts an one  by @Ahmed Ali, as well.

Let me try and release them. 

@KathleenG ; @RachelM ; Could you check?

Community Manager
# 8
Community Manager
Hi All,

Yep - It seems that these replies were caught by a filter. I've released them now. Thanks for flagging Moshe!

Kathleen
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

@KathleenG ; Thanks for "fixing" the thread;

@Semhar Y; Google is very careful and precise in its language. Pay attention to the wording:

>>>" ..... We'll still identify Los Angeles as a location she's interested in. Since the search was performed on google.fr, it's also possible...."

So, LA - is certain   (in terms of location targeting), while Paris is: "maybe", under some conditions....

-Moshe