star_border

Location targeting

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

While targeting only some cities of a state, is it better to:

a) Select the entire state and exclude the locations other than these cities?

or

b) Target only these cities?

Thank you

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sisir
September 2015

Re: Location targeting

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello ,

2)Target only cities

The logic behind this is that there could be areas between the Cities which you exclude and you could receive unwanted visits from there.

Please note that some Countries offer a less granular location targeting , for example only country wide targeting could be available.

In here you will find further useful details :

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722043

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you Adrian for the reply.
I read somewhere that a) gave better results than b) for their usa-based campaign.
Thats why I have asked.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Sisir,

Correct me if I am wrong, but I am sure you would like to see extra traffic from neighboring places. This will give you traffic stats from nearby areas that you currently don't cater to. But if the observed traffic is incremental, you can consider it as a potential avenue for expanding your business.

Hope I made sense to you.

Regards,
KC
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by John Paul (Google Employee)
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi KC,

If i am allowed to put my thoughts in this threadSmiley Happy

I would say that its depends on your business strength so that you can cater the customers beyond your business boundary. However AdWords also allow to show your ads within your Targeting Area.

1.) Take the advantage of Advance Location Setting. It allows you to limit their ads to appear only for  Physical location or location of interest rather than using the default setting to show to both types of locations.

2.) You can see the Users Report and Geographical reports in the dimension tab to know from which locations are you getting traffic.

Geographical report tells you customers' physical locations or locations that they had shown interest in through searches on Google.

User Location reports tells your customers' physical locations only.  

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks to all for your responses. Am still learning.