1.8K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Location targeting

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, when I used to target the whole country and now I segmented geo targeting by regions. Is it ok to target all regions within this country or do I need to target all regions + that country? The reason is that I used ad preview tool and with locations settings to this country it would not show any ad. After I switched to one of the regions, then it showed ads.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Location targeting

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @xxx x in theory targeting all possible regions in a country should be the same as targeting the country as a single location, however there's no problem with adding the country as another target as well as all the regions to "catch" any people that slip through the net.  AdWords will assign a click to the most relevant location in your settings so, for example, if you targeted the UK and also targeted all the counties in the UK, if someone clicked from Dorset (a county in the South-West of England) then AdWords would use the location settings for Dorset, not the UK.

So, in short, if you're worried, add the country as well - it won't do any harm and your individual region settings will still be used.

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits