AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Location targeting: targeted and excluded locations

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello everyone!

I have a question regarding location targeting for a search campaign. I tried and it looks like you can have both certain locations targeted and others excluded. The question is whether my ads will show if someone searches from a location that is neither in the targeted locations nor in the excluded ones. For example:

I want to target my ads to users from: Germany, Austria and Switzerland. I want to exclude Italy, France and Norway.

What happens if someone in Spain searches for something related to my keywords? Do they get to see my ads?

I'm asking because in our business you need to keep an eye on new potential markets, and by adding targeted locations I might not include some growing markets and thus miss the trend.

Thanks!

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Location targeting: targeted and excluded locations

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi there;

If you target a whole country you don't need to exclude other countries. Exclusion is to exclude an area within the target region (e.g.  you want to target all of Germany, but the  state of  Brandenburg)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

@Valeriu V,

What happens if someone in Spain searches for something related to my keywords? Do they get to see my ads?

Yes, your ads may appear, if someone searches the words related to the business + your locations. e.g. "used car in germany" etc and your campaign has by default advance location settingPeople in, searching for, or who show interest in your targeted location (recommended).

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Rakesh, thanks for that. Exactly what I needed. Do you know where exactly I can read more on that? Even if the country is not a targeted location, the ads might show if the keywords include locations in the targeted locations, right?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

@Valeriu V;

There is a misunderstanding here;

>>"The question is whether my ads will show if someone searches from a location that is neither in the targeted locations nor in the excluded ones"

If you exclude a location, this applies to  both if the user is physically  in the location or search about the location  (aka search location  by intent)

And again, if you don't target Norway or Spain - you don't need to exclude the people in those countries.

Indeed, if someone in Norway searches about your product in Germany, (i.e. by adding Germany as a location in the search term), then  your ad could be shown. Why would you like to block that? The user shows  a clear intent on  your product in Germany....

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

@MosheTLV,

the reason I wanted to add specific countries to location targeting was so that I can place bids on them, but I don't want my ads not to show in countries that I don't have on that included countries list.