Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Location targeting around a store location

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello All,

I have a question about location targeting. Currently, I have a campaign that targets the city of Las Vegas and I am targeting  (Nielsen® DMA® region), I added zip code targeting, thinking that those customers would be more valuable as they live in the neighborhood as the store, then I also added radius targeting around the store, 3 mile radius as those customers would be even more valuable because he live really close to the store.

My questions are,

1. Am I targeting all the areas?

2. zip code customers are more valuable to me than someone across town, so can I increase the bid for those? I didn't see that option. I am thinking I have to set up a new campaign? But that would compete for the same keywords are the whole city campaign?

3. Same idea with the 3mi. radius people, they are even more likely to come to the store, so I would like to increase those CPC.

I hope I made sense. I am including a screen shot. I read this thread https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722043 but still confused.

locationtarget.png

1 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Location targeting around a store location

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello Pierre W,

If you include an area, city, country, state, province you always are targeting that area.
If you are targeting the same spot on the map, with different definitions of targeting.
(In this land, you target a province, and in this Provence you target a city)

And you gave different amount of bidding (bid adjustments)
Then the most specific location  will apply,

Someone living in the city, a click will calculated an charged for the city
Someone living in the province but not in the city, a click wil calculated an charged for the province
Someone living in the country but not in the Provence, a click wil calculated an charged for the country. <-edited

The same way with radius and zip-code targeting. The most specific location applies.

If you exclude an area with location targeting, that overlap your included area, than that overlap part you are not targeting.

You only have bid adjustments for locations if you work with enhanced campaigns. And not if you have a legacy campaign.
You can find location targeting under settings.

** I´am learning Adwords and find it very interesting.
** Ik ben Adwords aan het leren en vind het erg boeiend.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello Pierre W,

In my opinion, it is first of all important to analyse and see which targeting settings is best for your business, be it zip code, radius targeting, any specific regions etc... because ultimately you need to see in which particular parts you are able to deliver your business to and which are not at all right.

So depending upon that, choose your settings and optimize your campaigns accordingly.

If you are using Enhanced campaigns, you do have the option to select particular areas and bid on them higher compared to other regions. For example if you are doing zip code targeting and you want to increase bid for particular zip code, you can do like this:

2013-06-24 14_04_25-Campaign Management.jpg

Let us know if that helps!

Pankaj

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello Pierre W,

If you include an area, city, country, state, province you always are targeting that area.
If you are targeting the same spot on the map, with different definitions of targeting.
(In this land, you target a province, and in this Provence you target a city)

And you gave different amount of bidding (bid adjustments)
Then the most specific location  will apply,

Someone living in the city, a click will calculated an charged for the city
Someone living in the province but not in the city, a click wil calculated an charged for the province
Someone living in the country but not in the Provence, a click wil calculated an charged for the country. <-edited

The same way with radius and zip-code targeting. The most specific location applies.

If you exclude an area with location targeting, that overlap your included area, than that overlap part you are not targeting.

You only have bid adjustments for locations if you work with enhanced campaigns. And not if you have a legacy campaign.
You can find location targeting under settings.

** I´am learning Adwords and find it very interesting.
** Ik ben Adwords aan het leren en vind het erg boeiend.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello Pierre W,

In my opinion, it is first of all important to analyse and see which targeting settings is best for your business, be it zip code, radius targeting, any specific regions etc... because ultimately you need to see in which particular parts you are able to deliver your business to and which are not at all right.

So depending upon that, choose your settings and optimize your campaigns accordingly.

If you are using Enhanced campaigns, you do have the option to select particular areas and bid on them higher compared to other regions. For example if you are doing zip code targeting and you want to increase bid for particular zip code, you can do like this:

2013-06-24 14_04_25-Campaign Management.jpg

Let us know if that helps!

Pankaj

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thank You Pankaj, How did you get to that location setting? I am in enhanced because right above that I have change mobile bid and it looks like the same screen you show except it shows, computers, tablets, mobile.

I'm thinking its in a different place?