AdWords
2K members online now
2K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Location report shows other regions from what's set in Adwords?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I typed in a dozen zip codes for location coverage but when I checked location report I saw traffic from other zip codes, what's a possible explanation for this? Like people saw the ads at home then goes to work outside the area but are still tracked? Or this is an internal flaw with Adwords IP tracking. Thanks!

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey Richard,

Depending on your targeting settings under the "Location options" and your keywords. It's likely that people were searching for your keywords with a location. Ex. Outfits + Location

If you have selected "People in, searching for, or who show interest in my targeted location" then this might be the case!

Try changing it to "People in my targeted location" as this will make it so that your ads should ONLY get shown in your target areas.

Here is the list of 3 with descriptions:

People in, searching for, or who show interest in my targeted location - Your ad can appear for anyone who is likely to be physically located in your targeted location. Your ad can also appear for anyone who shows interest in your targeted location. People can show interest through terms used in their searches, content that they view online, if they were recently in a location, or other methods.

People in my targeted location - Your ad can appear to people who are likely to be physically located in your targeted location, even if they show interest in other locations.

People searching for, or who show interest in my targeted location - Your ad can appear for anyone who shows interest in your targeted location. People can show interest through terms used in their searches, content that they view online, if they were recently in a location, or other methods.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks but I have indeed selected "People in my targeted location" since the beginning. I figure the IP location is not going to be 100% accurate, it's just the nature of the beast.