AdWords
3.8K members online now
3.8K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Location relationships (query: Fresno, keyword: California)?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

How well does Google understand relationships between locations?

EXAMPLE

If I have a head keyword "biking", and wish to advertise a product "biking tours in California", do I need to create tail keywords for most all California cities:

• biking tours california
  • biking tours los angeles
  • bikink tours san bernardino
  • biking tours san francisco
  • biking tours san diego

if I want to to capture queries such as "biking in fresno"? Will Google be smart enough to understand "bike tours in Fresno", match it to my keyword "biking california" and serve my ad?

• query: "biking tours in fresno for 4"
  • keyword: "bike tours california"
  • ad: "Wonderful awesome exciting (whatever) biking tours in California. Come round and have some fun!"

Does this work only with official hierarchy (country>region>county>city) or will it understand unofficial regions like Bretagne in France?

What if I have a keyword "biking in san jose" and users search for "bike tours in san francisco"? Keyword all the cities without exception or is this not really necessary?

Many thanks!

Alex

2 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Alexander S
September 2015

Re: Location relationships (query: Fresno, keyword: California)?

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Namaste, Alexander!

In the case you've detailed, user would be able to see your ad (though he is not located in California) by searching 'bike tours fresno', as Fresno is his location of interest. Google shows ads based on location of interest as well. For Eg: I'm in India and I searched 'bike tours fresno' on Google.de. I'm able to see biking services in Fresno and California. Screenshot attached. Google is smart enough to understand location names and show relevant ads.

Do let me know if that doesn't answer your question Smiley Happy

- Sumanth

Fresno.png

Sumanth Sridhar

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Alexander;

Correct. The  "idea" here to minimize the number of keywords by eliminating locations within the keywords. So, if you target CA, there is no need to include the location names with the keywords , The system would show the ads for those physically in CA and those  who have an interest / intent  about the product in CA, but are physically outside CA.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi there,

Firstly, Google shows ads based physical location(where the user is located) as well as location of interest (location a user is interested in). More than location related terms (like Fresno), service related terms (like biking) is of more importance, as thats what the user is looking for.

If you're targeting the whole of California, it is not necessary to specify names of cities in the keyword text, as location targeting (at campaign level) takes care of that. Even if you do, Google is smart enough to understand the location and serve ads accordingly.

- Sumanth
Sumanth Sridhar

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Sumanth, namaste! Smiley Wink

Thank you for your reply but that wasn't really what I was looking for. The users are from ABROAD.

Let's say a guy from Germany will be visiting California during the next month and is researching bike tours in Cali (from back home in Germany). He types "best bike trails/tours/nnn in California" in Google.de and receives certain results.

If I want him to come to my tour in Fresno, do I need keywords "bike tours california" and "bike tours fresno" both or is there enough chance that Google will serve my Fresno ad to the German guy even though he was google-ing California in general if I just use keyword "bike tours California"?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Namaste, Alexander!

In the case you've detailed, user would be able to see your ad (though he is not located in California) by searching 'bike tours fresno', as Fresno is his location of interest. Google shows ads based on location of interest as well. For Eg: I'm in India and I searched 'bike tours fresno' on Google.de. I'm able to see biking services in Fresno and California. Screenshot attached. Google is smart enough to understand location names and show relevant ads.

Do let me know if that doesn't answer your question Smiley Happy

- Sumanth

Fresno.png

Sumanth Sridhar

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I think it does answer my question indeed but just to make sure:

- user searches "fresno", keyword is "fresno" -> gets fresno ad
- user searches "fresno", keyword is "california" -> gets fresno, LA, SF, ... possibly sees my ad

This second case is interesting to me. IF I can cover all major cities in California by just the keyword that includes "activity + california" it means that I do not have to create as many keywords as there are cities within state of California.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Alexander;

Correct. The  "idea" here to minimize the number of keywords by eliminating locations within the keywords. So, if you target CA, there is no need to include the location names with the keywords , The system would show the ads for those physically in CA and those  who have an interest / intent  about the product in CA, but are physically outside CA.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
MosheTLV,

thank you very much for your reply! Do we have an understanding of how well this works in verious parts of the world? I used California just to make the example clearer and more familiar to the guys from the US, bot does it work with France and Bretagne example?

Taiwan and some region of Taiwan? Croatia and it's regions of Dalmatia and Istria?

Cheers!
Alex

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Well... this is a very good question;
Other countries are not, mapped to the level of the US, (up to a zip code level. Some countries are only mapped to a level of a region. In Taiwan, and Croatia you should include the location as part of the kwyword...