[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello, 

I have noticed a new type of location targeting described here :

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722043

"Location groups

Location groups allow you to reach customers based on the types of places they visit or demographic information based on their location. You’ll find the “Location groups” tab by going to your Settings tab, clicking Edit next to “Locations," and clicking Advanced search."

There is even this targeting :

"Target locations by demographics to reach groups of people based on their location’s approximate average household income. Based on publicly available data from the US Internal Revenue Service (IRS), advertisers are able to target ads to certain areas according to their average household income. This feature is currently available for U.S. locations only."

Do you see this feature as a must have for your accounts ?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Location groups - targeting by average household income - new feat

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee
Thank you Adrian B for this topic. This is a very cool new feature. Does anyone else in the community have an opinion about this feature? We would love your feedback.

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner

Here is a how-to guide for setting up Household Income Targeting:

http://adhouseadvertising.com/more-info/articles/learn-with-us/item/58-income-level-targeting-for-go...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Adrian and Googlers,  I read your post on targeting by income information but also wanted to ask if we still target the general region? The geo-targeting map doesn't show any highlighted areas and it looks scary to not see this at first glance. Here is an article that says to also keep it broad but I'd like to bid down on low-income areas for this high-priced item approval-based, item. Any feedback?  

http://adhouseadvertising.com/more-info/articles/learn-with-us/item/58-income-level-targeting-for-go...

Badged Google Partner
# 5
Badged Google Partner
Good afternoon Wendy!

Yes, when configuring the income-brackets it gives you a "within" field.
Broad will certainly help, and in many cases (even with the scope of a State/region) there may not be enough information to target by household income.

But yes! You can restrict the household income targeting within geographic bounds.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
cool thanks! I will give it a shot.. as it seems like it could save you budget to bid down on certain income brackets too?

Badged Google Partner
# 7
Badged Google Partner
If you have a product/service that is very exclusive to specific income brackets, and is able to be sold with a broad geographic reach... using the household income targeting is certainly worth trying, just watch it like a hawk.

Reminder: you're targeting aggregates... so the system is helping you target areas that have higher household incomes, not households with specific incomes. But it sure beats manually targeting the zip codes based on income bracket!