Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Location bid adjustments for specific towns/cities

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I have a client who would like to target their campaigns to the whole of the UK and the US, however they'd like to increase bids for specific towns/cities.

Would I therefore in the list of Locations, add 'United Kindgdom' and 'United States', however then add the individual towns and cities as Locations as well, so that I can then effectively apply bid adjustments to these towns and cities?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Christian G
September 2015

Re: Location bid adjustments for specific towns/cities

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Christian, yes, that's the way to do it. Google will apply the most specific target bid adjustment so if you target the UK with England +10% and York +15%, for someone appearing to be in York the adjustment would be 15%.

I would suggest, though, that you use separate Campaigns for the US and UK - and potentially different Campaigns for each of the US Time Zones (there are 6, but I tend to use only 4, putting Alaska and Hawaii into the Pacific Time Zone) - as the performance of these regions can vary quite dramatically and you'll have better control over spend/performance with greater granularity.

I should also add that Location targeting within the UK can be hit and miss.  Our infrastructure tends to report locations centred around major cities (I'm often shown as being in Leeds, some 50 miles from my actual location) so you should exercise care when targeting in the UK and monitor the results carefully.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Christian G
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Christian, yes, that's the way to do it. Google will apply the most specific target bid adjustment so if you target the UK with England +10% and York +15%, for someone appearing to be in York the adjustment would be 15%.

I would suggest, though, that you use separate Campaigns for the US and UK - and potentially different Campaigns for each of the US Time Zones (there are 6, but I tend to use only 4, putting Alaska and Hawaii into the Pacific Time Zone) - as the performance of these regions can vary quite dramatically and you'll have better control over spend/performance with greater granularity.

I should also add that Location targeting within the UK can be hit and miss.  Our infrastructure tends to report locations centred around major cities (I'm often shown as being in Leeds, some 50 miles from my actual location) so you should exercise care when targeting in the UK and monitor the results carefully.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Jon.

Ah great, nice to know I'm approaching it correctly.

Thank you for your advice as well on separating the campaigns based on location. I'll bear this in mind. Shame that location targeting in the UK is hit and miss, so I'll be cautious with this, thank you.