Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Location & Language

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Do I understand this correctly?

I am getting ready to run an Ad on the search network only.

Would I select several locations (China, Japan, Mexico, South America, Australia, Africa,ETC. and then select "English" for my language. This way the ad will only get shown in those country's to the people searching in "English". 

We ship world wide but only speak English and our web site is in English only. It just seems to me we would get more "potenial customers" if we run our ads global but for English searches only!

Please Advise.

Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author David C
September 2015

Re: Location & Language

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello there;

In principle - you are correct;

Having said that; language targeting on Adwords is a bit tricky;

For each Google domain, Google sets a default language. (For Google.jp the default language is Japanese.)

However, the user can change the language preferences. And, in this case, Google uses the browser language settings to determine the user's languages. Furthermore,There are a few exceptions to this rule: e,g. for Asian languages in which the alphabet  deretrmineds the language: if a user in Japan sets his browser interface preferences to English, and run a search in Japanese - he will see ads in Japanese.

Though you target, globally,  users who speak English, I do recommend to set a local landing page for each country. A tailored "localized" landing page  (though still in English), should convert better. (e,g. showing a  business using / benefiting from your product in a given country).

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Moshe I'm reviewing a campaign created by a large agency...all ads and keywords are in English but they have included both English and Spanish in language targeting. Is there any benefit in doing that?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Yes. See the following article;
Since this discussion has marked "solved" please ask any follow up in a new discussion
https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/User-Articles/AdWords-Language-Targeting/ba-p/51292
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’