Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Location Targeting Problems

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello,

Hope someone can help me because this is getting frustrating!

I am a tour operator in Morocco and want to target people in US, Canada, UK, Australia, Ireland, Iceland who want o travel to Morocco. 

At first I tried to target these locations and used the option People in My Targeted Location but my ads didn't show because my keywords include the words Marrakech, Morocco, etc. 

Then I tried all countries and territories and excluded all countries except the ones I am targeting but it also didn't work because adwords said there was an issue with the way my settings were. 

Now I am targeting Morocco, Marrakech, etc and have settings People in or who show interest in my targeted location. I have all countries in the world excluded except the ones I am targeting and Morocco. The problem with this is that I get a lot if impressions and clicks in Morocco, and I don't want people in Morocco clicking my ads as they are probably my competitors. I only want people iin US, Canada, etc to see and click my ads. 

I tried the advanced setting people who show interest in my target locations but google won't display my ads with this setting. 

I would appreciate some help please!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Location Targeting Problems

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello again @Marrakech A. Welcome back.

Yep, This is an issue to exclude people who are in the territory you are targeting.

First, you don't need to exclude the rest of the word,  this is the default.

You have two options:

• One is in the ad-copy. To make clear in the ad-text that the search is for tourists.
  • The other option is to use the third option: users who show interest  in, or search about the targeted location. This should eliminate most users  who are physically in Morocco. -You mentioned that you did not get impressions with this setting  - did you get any error message?  I suspect that the reason ins not the setting itself, but is rather a low search volume

See full expansion in this help article:

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722038?hl=en

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey, thank you again! 

I do get an error message with this setting - 

• Your ads are set to show only to users in the locations you've chosen.
  • Your ad isn't eligible to appear due to your advanced location targeting options

I tried every possible way to exclude clicks and impressions in Morocco, but there's no way. What if I drecreade the bid in Morocco? Do you think this would work?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@Marrakech A

Pick location targeting "users who show interest  in, or search about the targeted location"  but do not change the exclude default.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’