AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.4K members online now
1.4K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Location Targeting - Keywords with locations

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I've been trying to find a solution to my problem.

I run several campaigns on travel business, targeting only customers from one country, for a city destination in Spain.

Let's say, I want to display ads to any customer located in USA, and my keywords contain the location in spain, example "sightseeing tours barcelona".

What is the best setting of achieving this?

I currently have SET the option to show ads to "People in my targeted location" on campaign settings.

Then, I have several keywords, no displaying ads, with the following message: "The location terms in this keyword can affect where your ads show", and ADS not showing due low adrank. These keywords have mutiple daily searches, and show quality score 10/10 on "Landing Page Experience Above Average", "Ad Relevance Above Average", and "Expected Clickthrough Rate Above Average". Some people told it was due low CPC, I was already on number one with 1EURO CPC, and increased to 5EURO CPC on some keywords to see if that was the reason. Obviously, was not.

How to solve this issue?

Thanks !

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

If you included the location as part of the keyword - I'd recommend to  remove it.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

But then, how can I target this only to US-based customers, and no one else, since my targeted location is different from my ads services/location?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Your targeted location is where ads are shown. If you target users in the USA - this is your targeted location.

Location targeting is set at the campaign level.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Well, but then, how can I show ads related with some business in certain city or region, to a users in a very specific country?

How can I show ads only to US-based visitors, for something in Barcelona, if I remove Barcelona from keywords ? If I remove city from keywords, on this example shown, I would be showing sightseeing tours to US customers, searching for sightseeing tours on any part of the world.

If I have the following keyword: "sightseeing tours barcelona"

If I remove the location from keyword - barcelona - how can I show only to US customers looking for things in Barcelona ?

This is what makes me confusing.

Thanks !

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Oh, I see what you mean:

Then I rephrase my reply:

Your targeted location is Barcelona. In your advanced location targeting pick the last option "people searching or showing interest  about my targeted location" and in language targeting pick English.

This would result in showing ads to users searching about Barcelona from all over the globe. You can exclude countries in addition to language, but I would do that only if the geographic report will show users in countries you have no interest.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Ok thanks, but that will not solve my problem, since I only want to show ads for this business to customers located in the USA, no other country....

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Then you should exclude all "other" countries. As mentioned, I don't think this would be necessary if you target only English. You should analyze the geographic report. If it shows, for example, users from other countries  that also speak English (e.g the U.K), then exclude that country.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @Gonçalo F!

I recommend you to read this post for better understanding.https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Basics-for-New-Advertisers/Expecting-the-reach-by-using-Ra...

and let us if this helps you.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Mian,

Thanks. Your link makes a lot of sense. I understand the radius perfectly. But once I remove barcelona from the keywords, anyone searching for sightseeing tours anywhere in the world will see my ads. I only want people searching for sigthseeing tours in barcelona, when they are back home in the US, searching on the computer. So far, I have no answer, that gives me this result, unless i put barcelona in the keyword search itself.

Thanks.