Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Location Settings

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Experts,

If my search campaign is set to target an entire country eg. The United States, which option should I select for my targeting option?

People in, searching for, or who show interest in my targeted location (recommended) or People searching for, or who show interest in my targeted location

Thanks in advance for your help

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Location Settings

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hey Amolliah, how are things?

This will depends on what target are you hoping to impact and most importantly, their location.

If you want to target people that are only inside your segmented area, the most recommended option is "Reach people in your targeted location". This will make sure that your ad will appear only to people inside US.

The other options like let's say "Reach people in, searching for, or who show interest in my targeted location" can show ads for people outside of US. So if someone is located in Brazil and search for let's say "New York tour on Christmas", your ad could show up.

You can find more information about this in here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722038?hl=en

Hope this helps.
_

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Leandro! Another question, would " "Reach people in, searching for, or who show interest in my targeted location" be good for building brand awareness?

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Talking only and exclusively about Google Adwords campaigns, anything that you do, in my opinion, helps (either a bit or a bunch) for your brand awaress, but you must evaluate if this is something that you want. For instance: if you're an e-commerce that only deliver the products in the U.S, probably reaching people outside U.S is not important, since you could spend the money on people that actually can buy something from you.

Just in case you want to build brand awareness outside of the target region, it's better for you to create a specific campaign for that, targeting regions outside US. This would provide better control over budget, results, strategy and many other things.

Hope this helps
_

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

Location Settings

Badged Google Partner
# 5
Badged Google Partner

Do you sell your products or services outside of the US?

If not, then target only people in my targeted location, and exclude people in, searching for, or who show interest in my targeted location.

If you can never generate any revenue from an audience, then it doesn't make sense to spend money trying to advertise to that audience.

Tom