Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Location Extensions - Campaign level vs ad-level

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

I am running a campaign where we have 10 businesses in 10 different locations across the country.

Initially, I set up an ad-level location extension for each business (10 in total).  However, Google didn't seem to recognise where some of the locations were and therefore would not show the ads.

My question is that for these businesses will it still work to have campaign-level location extensions?  Or, will Google show the wrong extension with an ad.  For example, there is a business in Bristol and one in Wales, but what if someone in Bristol is looking for what we do in Wales, will it show the Wales ad (wich has the word Wales in the ad!) but with the Bristol address?

Or, does it make sense to put the businesses where Google doesn't recognise the location in a separate campaign with no location extensions?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Targeting by location and by intent

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello questions8 and welcome to our community;

This is my kind of questions..

Google says that in the UK it can target up to a city level. But, this is not perfect and has some limitations due to IP infrastructure coverage.

I definitely would try to target by city, using location targeting AND also to target by intent; for those who are outside the geo-targeted area who are searching for the business within that location (e.g. searching on Google for your business in Bristol)

Here is an article from the help center, where you can read more on how to set together targeting by location and by intent .

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Re: Location Extensions - Campaign level vs ad-level

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Ad extensions are set at the campaign level only.  So this scenario depends on what targeting method you are using.  Are you targeting based on phyical location and search intent or just by physical location?  If you target by phyical location you have a better chance of the right ad extension displaying.  The downside is that you could limit your reach by excluding a user in Bristol who is actually looking for a location Wales.  You could also try adding additional geo-targeted keywords to each ad group.

If your campaign and budget is large enough, you could run seperate campaigns for each location.  Alternatively, you could filter any locations that you do not want to show up (assuming you have linked a Google Places account).  Details here.

"While your Google Places account may contain all your business locations, you may sometimes want a campaign to use only a limited number of addresses from that list. You can filter out locations with certain business names or categories, so that only the filtered listings in your GooglePlaces account will appear with your AdWords ads for that campaign."

Re: Targeting by location and by intent

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Moshe

OK, so how do you know that someone located in Bristol but with the intent of finding a business in Wales will then not see the Wales ad (with the word 'Aberystwyth' in - a town in Wales) but with the address for the Bristol business?

By the way they are all manually entered address because Google Places are not set up yet.

Re: Location Extensions - Campaign level vs ad-level

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

At the moment it is being targeted by physical location and intent.

They are all manually entered addresses though, as Google Places are still being set up.

The targeted location at the moment is the UK so what I don't understand is why, for example, a location extension for Aberystwyth in Wales will not show the ad full stop because it can't see the association?  There is a similar one where there is a business in Glasgow and the ad runs fine with its extension for keywords with 'Glasgow' in but not for keywords with 'Lanarkshire' in (this is the county Glasgow is in).

Any thoughts on how to tackle all this?

Re: Location targeting + targeting by intent in the UK

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hello again questions8;

As said, location targeting especially in small locations, is not perfect, because of IP addresses cannot be fully tracked. (various reasons for that outside the scope of this thread).

As for your earlier question: This is a great question!

You need to carefully work a solution. (I hope I don't make mistake myself - that's tricky...  Smiley Tongue) However , your campaigns are structured correctly ( a separate campaign for every location), so it should work:

Let's take Bristol as an example: my understanding of your 2nd post is that those physically in Bristol area OR outside Bristol with intent to see ads on Bristol business (e.g located in Wales and running search on Bristol) should see the ad.

• You should target Bristol BOTH by location and by intent, AND excluding the rest of the UK by geo-location.
  • The outcome: Anyone who is physically located in Bristol area or running a search about the business in Bristol (e.g. "car wash in Bristol") will see the ad. Anyone physically located in the rest of the UK will not see tha ad.

You need to redo this targeting + exclusion for every location:

Please note:

We are assuming that as Google stated the city level geo-targeting works in the UK. But that might not be perfect is some areas.

(Yes, targeting is a tough subject....Smiley Wink)

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’