Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Location Exclude

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello.

I am confused by what location- "People in, searching for or viewing pages about my excluded location" actually means?

I have a Guest House (Hotel) in Blackpool, UK so I want to exclude "People in" Blackpool as that means  my potential competition/residents in Blackpool are not tempted to click on my ad (Either genuinely or maliciously). But by using the above phrase it appears that I exclude people "searching for or viewing pages about my excluded location" which is Blackpool!  which sounds like a contradiction in itself? I want to exclude the residents of Blackpool but not the residents of the rest of the UK finding my Google Ad by using the search term "Blackpool"

Am I misreading the phrase or does google not realise that there are businesses which want to exclude their hometown but not the rest of the country? Thank you in advance for any advice. Regards Mark Lewis

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Location Exclude

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Mark,

You're right - you want to select "People in my excluded location"..... that way it's just excluding people in Blackpool... of course, you want people looking at pages about Blackpool.

For the vast majority of my clients the "recommended" setting is not the one I use but the more concrete and restrictive setting I suggest above....

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you. That makes me feel pretty daft! LOL

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Don't feel daft - there are a lot of the default and/or recommended settings that - at least in my experience - are not ideal.

Good luck with the campaigns!