Guide Me
star_border

List size for search with rule-based audiences

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I just started monitoring audiences on a new account and today I noticed an odd thing.

First of all now we have two columns for audiences , search and display.

Secondly only the rule based tracking gathered visitors on the column for "search" audiences.

1) Why the google analytics tracking did not gather any visitors for the "list size (Google search) " ? They both track the same thing, all visitors from all the pages in a website.

2) The analytics is not yet able to gather audiences for the search remarketing campaigns ?

list-size-rule-based.png

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Adrian B
September 2015

Re: List size for search with rule-based audiences

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager
Hi Adrian B,

The Google Analytics pixel doesn't currently support search remarketing, so if you want to set up search remarketing, you'll need to set up a tag using the AdWords pixel.

Hope that helps sort things out!

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes it is the perfect answer, lucky me I wanted to test adwords remarketing in parallel with the analytics tracker just out of curiosity to see if they are different in volume.

Thank you for taking the time to answer.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hopefully there are plans to change that?
The rules to create GA lists are more sophisticated than the AdWords options, so better audience segments can be built up. It seems silly that these segments can't be used to control search remarketing bids as well as GDN

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yes hopefully the Google Analytics and Google Adwords team is gonna make it happen!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, is this still the case? Does the Google Analytics Pixel not support search remarketing?

We have a case where our search remarketing was previously populating based on the Google Analytics pixel. As the graph below illustrates, this seemed to be working until about Feb 6, 2016. Then you can see the decline in the list size until about March 6, 2016 when the list is no longer populated.

I'm wondering if the Google Analytics pixel still does not support search remarketing and if that is the case, why did the search list seem to populate for a while for our audience "All Visitors (System Defined)" that was "Automatically created Google Analytics"?

Below the graph of that audience is the current state of the audience along with a few others. The audience "All Website Visitors" was created with the rule "URL contains ourwebsiteurl.com". By the small audience size you can see it did not work as intended but it does have visitors in Search, YouTube, and Display.

I'm also unclear what the difference is between a "-" and "Unavailable" in the List Size?

6months.jpgScreen-Shot-2016-06-08-at-10.30.57-PM.jpg